Author Topic: 1830s directory lookup COMPLETED (WELL GIVEN UP, ACTUALLY)  (Read 1152 times)

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • ggg-grandad William Vine
    • View Profile
1830s directory lookup COMPLETED (WELL GIVEN UP, ACTUALLY)
« on: Saturday 15 April 06 21:49 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to Pigot 1832/3/4 ? or other directories that include Brighton in the 1820s-1830s ?

I'm looking for father and son William Henley, upholsterer, and John Henley, tailor who may both be at 77 St James's Street. There's also a possible Joseph Henley, tailor?, who might also be at the same address. John married in 1838 and I can track him OK from then onwards. William disappears after 1837.

many thanks for any information.

- Steve

Henley (Brighton 1820+, Bedfordshire pre-1840),  Vine, Button, Bradford, Bodle (Sussex), Willey (Sheffield, London), Nattriss (London), Wood, Jones, Blaker, Shrimpton (London), Dalby (London 1800+, E.Yorkshire pre-1810), Hillmann, von Thun (London and Hannover)

Offline lancs.fox

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1830s directory lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 April 06 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Have you tried www.historicaldirectories.org which has many UK trade directories online in searchable form....and free?  You can inspect copies of the orginal directories and download page images.

One directory online is Pigot's Directory of Sussex 1832-34, which includes Brighton.  I have had a quick look there to see if I could find William and/or John Henley, but with no luck.  You may be more successful, though, given more time.

Another is Pigot's Directory of Sussex 1839, and again I'm unable to find a Henley in Brighton under 'Tailors' or 'Upholsterers'.

Maybe they did not subscribe to the directories or were not traders in their own rights.

Regards,

Richard
Fox (Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Yorkshire); Stockton (Shropshire, Yorkshire); Moody (Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Yorkshire); Kershaw (Yorkshire); Martyn (Cornwall); Barnacle (Warwickshire, Leicestershire), Cox (Staffordshire); Dunn (Staffordshire); Mitchell (Yorkshire); Evers (Yorkshire)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 April 06 22:13 BST (UK) »
Richard  - thanks for the suggestion. I did think of that site, but there didn't seem to be any directories for Sussex earlier than 1850. However, just looked again and realised that this was just p1 of three retrieved pages. Silly me.

OK, just checked Pigot 1832 and 1839 and have drawn a blank on both. Are there any other directories in between ?
Henley (Brighton 1820+, Bedfordshire pre-1840),  Vine, Button, Bradford, Bodle (Sussex), Willey (Sheffield, London), Nattriss (London), Wood, Jones, Blaker, Shrimpton (London), Dalby (London 1800+, E.Yorkshire pre-1810), Hillmann, von Thun (London and Hannover)

Offline lancs.fox

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 April 06 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Just as you were posting your message I amended my own earlier posting to give details of two directories for Sussex on that website from the 1830s.

No doubt you have found them by now.

Regards,

Richard
Fox (Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Yorkshire); Stockton (Shropshire, Yorkshire); Moody (Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Yorkshire); Kershaw (Yorkshire); Martyn (Cornwall); Barnacle (Warwickshire, Leicestershire), Cox (Staffordshire); Dunn (Staffordshire); Mitchell (Yorkshire); Evers (Yorkshire)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 April 06 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve

Have just browsed through the Pigits Directory for Sussex 1832 / 34

Sorry, but the surname HENLEY is not listed under Tailors or Upholsterers in Brighton.

Chris in 1066
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 April 06 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
On 27 December 1835 there was a baptism of Stephen Henley, son of a William a labourer and Caroline of High Street
and
On 26 December 1825 there was a baptism of Eliza Henley, daughter of John a plasterer and Elizabeth, of Edward Street. 
Do either of these connect?

Roy G

Offline silicondale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 April 06 11:08 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for looking, Chris - I think this perhaps means eiyther they hadn't yet arrived in Brighton or that they were employed by other firm(s).
Roy - thanks - I think this helps the process of elimination: I've come across this William and Caroline elsewhere, and I don't think they are cloely related to the Henleys I'm looking for. As for the John and Elizabeth - I have another John & Elizabeth in Woburn but I don't think there's any connection - good evidence that they actually stayed in bedfordshire. Also no known plasterers in the family ! Many thanks for the help, though. Negative results are almost as good as positive and far better than no information at all. - Steve