Author Topic: remember Coopers Church St Liverpool  (Read 28673 times)

Offline emeraldislegirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: remember Coopers Church St Liverpool
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 February 12 14:29 GMT (UK) »
I remember Coopers.  It closed when I was a small child, but my grandmother worked as a silver service waitress in the restaurant, which was on the upper floors, she was irish and worked there for about 25 years, her best friend was scottish and also worked there for great number of years, they both worked until the shop closed circa 1969.  Very high class restaurant - beautiful food.  The ground floor had the coffee grinding as you went in through the door on Church Street, it was located to the left.  They did have live chicks in the main window at Easter too.  There was another entrance in Paradise Street, which led into where the fish was sold in the Food Hall.  I wish this store was still here, it would be a fantastic shop to have with all the food from all over the world, and old fashioned services like delivery, which ironic since the supermarkets now do this.

Offline AlanOnTheWirral

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the smell of coffee from outside took you to the Coffee Grinder in the window I seem to recall and in the Food Hall there was sawdust on the floor.   Being a kid at the time we went up for tea or to the KD (Kardomah) across the road.
Molyneux, Liverpool.
Fell, Liverpool, Wales & Ireland.
McAra, Perthshire.

Offline Veerice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 13:20 GMT (UK) »
I remember Coopers very well.  I was a silver service waitress in the restaurant on the first floor from 1960 to 1964.  It was taken over by Scotts/Westins and they closed the bakery on the 6th floor. They brought in pink S&H stamps and closed the self service part of the restaurant to make a redemption centre, which Ken Dodd opened.  It was closed not long after,  Such a shame.  We used to do the Lord Mayors Banquet and because it didn't have a licence the staff from St Georges Hotel on Lime Street used to come down with their bars. I was there when Hendersons went on fire. We made tea for survivors and emergency services.  They had to close the front of the restaurant for a while in case Henderson's building collapsed. I have a photo somewhere of all the waitresses, will see if I can find it.

Offline back2back

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 March 14 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Further to S.S. Malakand, my father was one of firemen trying to put out the fire. The fire was caused by an overhead barrage balloon catching fire, and dropping on to the deck.The fire crews were given 15 minutes to get off when it was realised it could not be saved. When it blew it took quite a few other ships with it (an anchor was found embedded in Bootle) The senior fire officer I think, was awarded the George Cross.
Chadwick-Yorkshire.Wainwright-Liverpool

Offline johannah1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 March 14 17:39 GMT (UK) »

Offline Veerice

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 09 May 14 13:35 BST (UK) »
This as a photo from 1962 of the silver service waitresses in Coopers Café in Liverpool.

Offline martha26

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 22:19 BST (UK) »
My Mother worked in the staff canteen before it was bombed. One of her jobs was to go down to the delicatessen to bring provisions back up to the canteen, she remembers very well the lovely smell of coffee and what a wonderful place Coopers was.

We've left another post asking about the staff canteen manager, she was very kind to my young Mother who would love to know her name.

Any thoughts or suggestions gratefully received.
Best
Mary.

Offline Davie Williams

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 September 16 17:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Do you remember Coopers shop it was in Church St, as soon as you went in the smell of coffee hit you.
That is all i remember is the smell, it was next door to were WH Smiths is now.
I am looking for any history or info about the place, My husbands grandad Albert Kelly worked their and other member's of the family did, and we think their was a connection, another name that keeps coming up is Sir Bertram Grimes, who ever he is ? can any one tell me.
We know they had Coopers store's in Scotland, as Albert went to work up their somtimes.
Can anyone tell me who owned Coopers ?
Any info  or History about the store would be very much appreciated.
          Sue
Hi Sue! i have a vinyl record that has the "goodwill"messages of the staff!!
It is by Majestic records,and i suspect somebody recorded there words,and put them onto this very old lp! feel free to email me re whats on it, it plays well,it really shows how the accents have changed over the years,just looked at the record it says " Messages of Coopers ,Liverpool, Goodwill from Mr Harold West" :)

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 September 16 11:48 BST (UK) »
We used to get weekly grocery deliveries from Coopers about the end of the 1940s. One day the driver told us he was finishing that week as he had won £15,000 (I think) on the Irish sweep stake. We never saw him again. Cheers Humphpaul
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.