Author Topic: 1851 Index  (Read 8740 times)

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
1851 Index
« on: Wednesday 13 October 04 16:49 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have a 1851 Index for Durham?

Seeking Henry Evans Gibson b.1850 to Thomas Reid/Reed Gibson and Alice.

Many thanks.

KA

Offline barney

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Index
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 November 04 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Is that in Durham City or County. I have the 1851 census but will need more to go on.
Cheers, Anne.
NTH YORKS, DURHAM - Dent, Raine, Alderson, Bainbridge, Tarn, Manistry, Ramage, Sedgewick, Airey, Moore, Todd, Campbell, Gowland, Husband, Schorah, Wignall.
NTH YORKS -  Biggins, Johnson, Hindson, Leng, Bowes, Garbutt, Goldsborough, Langstaff.
NEWCASTLE - Pascoe, Sanderson, Willey.
WESTMORLAND - Weightman

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 November 04 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,

I'll give you what I've got.  Not much I'm afraid. This family is being my most problematical family to date!

Thomas Reid/Reed Gibson -   no idea of age as on his marriage cert to Alice in 1841 he is of 'full age'.  He is a Master Mariner.

However on IGI I have found birth in 1801 of Thomas Gibson in Eardson by North Shields that would fit. Incidentally, his father is also a Thomas and a Master Mariner - and good possiblility his mother is Isabella)

Alice, his wife, b. 1915 South Shields.

I then completely lose sight of them until Alice (widow) and son Henry Evans Gibson appear in 1881 Census in Westoe Durham.  However, Henry Evans Gibson is b. in 1850 - and it does say he is born in Blyth, Northumberland.

I've tried a posting on the Northumberland board, but nothing turned up.  So I am hoping any of the above will be seen in County of Durham.

Sorry it is so little.

Regards

KA

They marry in 1841 in Jarrow, County of Durham.

Offline daverblondto

• RootsChat Extra
  • van Hoogenhuijze
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 May 11 14:58 BST (UK) »
Henry Evans Gibson (born Blyth about 1849) is my great-grandfather and I have information about his marriage and his family. I would like to know about his ancestors: they seem to be the most unimaginative people when it comes to naming children. Every son named his sons the same. It's maddening!
Norfolk: Elnor Ellinor Ellmer
Durham: Gibson
Durham: Pattison
Northumberland: Laidler
Dumfries: Lyle
Suffolk: Ellinor Ellmer Elnor

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 May 11 15:13 BST (UK) »
Welcome,

I agree!  Between the 'Henry Evans', 'Nicolas Brown' and the 'Thomas Reeds', it makes following them maddening.

I do have some information on Henry's parents, incl his father, Thomas Reed Gibson, who died in 1852 on the high seas.  I have death cert for this if you would like, but scanner isn't working, so would have to send snail mail.  Also some information on the boat that Thomas owned/mastered.  But I will have to look it out as I've not been on this branch of the family for some while.

This is actually my husbands side and he follows down from Henry Evan's through Nicholas Brown.  Who do you follow?

Happy to help any way I can.  Look forward to hearing from you.  Feel free to PM me as I'm not always on this site on a regular basis.
Regards  KA

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 May 11 15:36 BST (UK) »
Earsdon baptism:  Thomas Reed Gibson born 6 Dec 1803, baptised 18 Mar 1804 2nd son of Thomas Gibson, Shipmaster, native of Whitby by his wife Isabella Brown, native of this parish

Nicholas was the first son parental information is the same

Esther Reed Gibson born 3 Nov 1806, baptised 13 Mar 1808 was the 4th daughter, same parental information except father Thomas was now called a Master Mariner

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KA

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 May 11 15:48 BST (UK) »
Janis,

You say that Esther Reed was 4th daughter.  I can only find births of Thomas Reed 1803, Nicholas (1802) and Esther (1806).  Was there a another child then?

Also - and this is my biggest mystery.  I can see that Isabella's surname of Brown was passed down to the subsequent sons called Nicholas.  However, first born was Thomas Reed Gibson and I thought that may have meant that Thomas Snr's mothers maiden name was Reed.  But a subsequent marriage (I know the date out at 1808) of a Thomas Gibson to an Eleanor Reed has made me wonder.  So is there any sign that Thomas Snr could have had a Reed mother?

Looking at your posting again, I presume that the Whitby baptisms may hold that clue.

Regards

KA

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 May 11 16:03 BST (UK) »
KA,

I beg to differ about the comment that you did not get much from the Northumberland board back in 2005.  There was quite a bit of infomation given to you especially about ships they owned, census records and at that time nothing was indexed.

For other children you born you may need to look at surrounding parishes or they may have had other children that died but before baptised.  It does not look like the chidren were baptised soon after birth

You might look at Earsdon burials. 

To help you decide about Isabella Brown:  Isabella Brown, South Blyth baptised 24 May 1772 daur of Nicholas Brown.  I looked up the siblings and on my fiche each name has a "+" by the date and I don't know what that means. On other fiche it stool for papist or other demoninations.

Isabella Reed Gibson, age 23, South Blyth buried 10 Dec 1830, Earsdon

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daverblondto

• RootsChat Extra
  • van Hoogenhuijze
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 May 11 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hello KA

Wow, that was a quick reply!  ;D

I trace through Mary Alice Gibson who is my maternal grandmother. She moved with her husband Henry Laidler to Canada and died in 1968. I have Nicolas Brown marrying an Ann, and having Catherine, Nicolas (yet another) and William. Is any of this accurate?

I can't seem to PM. All I see is a reload button.  ??? I can't compose.

--Dave
Norfolk: Elnor Ellinor Ellmer
Durham: Gibson
Durham: Pattison
Northumberland: Laidler
Dumfries: Lyle
Suffolk: Ellinor Ellmer Elnor