Author Topic: Missing in 1901: use of initials in census  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
Missing in 1901: use of initials in census
« on: Wednesday 13 October 04 17:23 BST (UK) »
I have tried all sorts of variants and mis-spellings to find my missing grandfather, Harold Boyle, in the 1901 census.  No success.

I note from the 1851 census (I have London on CD) that inmates in institutions were sometimes recorded only by their initials.  This seems to be the case for "lunatic asylums", but also for some other types of institutions.

In the 1920's, my grandfather was ... ahem ... "detained at His Majesty's pleasure", as they say.  I did wonder whether, as a possibly rebellious 17-yr-old, the 1901 census might have found him in a similar situation.  I know that in many cases prisons reported full names, but wondered whether anyone was aware of variations in the policy of using full names in 1901?

The PRO site does not allow you to enter only initials the search - or, at least, I haven't discovered the trick!

Cheers

Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing in 1901: use of initials in census
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 17:30 BST (UK) »
What area of the country are you looking for him in?
I searched the 1901 census and just put H in and it came up with a 16 year old male

H Boyle  16 Hants Winchester Southampton St Thomas Shop Boy

If you could post all the details you have on him someone may be able to find him.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Nicky,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I had found the same individual ... it's not my grandfather.

But my original message was perhaps not clear.  I meant that, in the 1851 census, at least, inmates of some institutions were recorded as "H.B." in my grandfather's case, or "J. B." in the case of a Joe Bloggs.  The double initial, including the surname, does not appear to be searchable in 1901.  Perhaps because they no longer used such a mechanism in 1901.

Cheers

Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline henry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 October 04 16:23 BST (UK) »
hi, ihad same problem twice and susie at www.compter.org found them and one was in some kind of hostel .if you cant find her let me know. isabel
Beaver. (salford)       Dowding(south) smith
Hodgson Durham

Offline henry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 October 04 16:28 BST (UK) »
hi, have you found him yet and have you any other info ie.d.o.b where he lived. henry
Beaver. (salford)       Dowding(south) smith
Hodgson Durham

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 October 04 16:56 BST (UK) »
Any chance that you could post the 1891 census details, so we here can have a better bash at it?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 October 04 01:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Henry and Puline,

My apologies - I've been travelling in remote parts of South America, so I'm out of date on this thread.  Thanks for your offers of assistance. 

No, I haven't found him yet.  His name is Harold Alfred Boyle, and he was born in 1881, so was 19 at the time of the 1901 census, not 17 as I previously posted.

I'm afraid that I don't seem to have the 1891 census details on my computer here (I'm still in South America), so I'll have to wait until I get home on Saturday before being able to post them.  Hope you will still be able to help at that time.

All the best

Tim