Author Topic: Calland family Swansea Glamorgan  (Read 4092 times)

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Calland family Swansea Glamorgan
« Reply #9 on: Monday 17 April 06 20:45 BST (UK) »
West Glamorgan Archive Service - Calland Collection9 Feb. 1804 [2 papers]. ***. <RISW C 180> Two copies of a Memorandum regarding the colliery signed by Samuel Hammond and Major George Calland. 14 Dec. 1805 ...
www.swansea.gov.uk/westglamorganarchives/ index.cfm?articleid=10525&articleaction=print - 52k - Cached - Similar pages
try this or type major george calland into google, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 17 April 06 20:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kali,

I've traced the fact that there was a Major George Calland in Swansea but I'm wondering if I'm barking up the wrong tree. I think he had died by 1841. The trouble with this is it's so easy to jump to conclusions.  One of the Swansea links mentions George Calland and Plymouth so I might not be too far off.

Thanks to everyone for any help you can give me.

Brigcs

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 10:37 BST (UK) »
Dear Gwen J,

We are going to Swansea over half term to see the Calland collection in the Archives. Did you ever find out what your Mum knew about Calland street? I expect we will put it on our agenda so if she sees people with a camera she'll know why!

Does anyone know where I might locate the history of this street?

Best wishes

Brigcs

Offline gwen j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 21:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Brigcs,Will see Mum in Law Thurs and will ask her what she knows,although at 89yrs she might say"What Calland Street"!However,I did put Calland Street,Plasmarl in the search engine and came up with a site that might be of interest.It's www.archivesnetworkwales.info.Try it.It might help.As for Calland St., now,it is a typical Street of the Industrial Age.The Road is unmade as the local council will not adopt the road and take care  of it as it is classes  it as private since at one stage the houses were all lease hold!This is not the case anymore as most of the freeholds have been bought.The fact that the council have a School at the end of the road and use the road to get to it doesn't seem to hold any weight.Perhaps the residents should block it off, as is their right,that  might be the answer!Will let you know what Mam says.
Regards,Gwen
Davies-Rhydlewis to Ebbw Vale
Wharton and Ford-Barnard Castle to London
Delany-Staffs.
Lascelles

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 October 06 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwen,

Thanks for any help you can give me. Those are the archives we intend to plough through in Swansea. I think I'll be lucky if I get a morning in there and there must be about a hundred documents to look at. The accounts were wound up in the 1980s so that might be interesting. My husband came down the illigitimate line so I'm interested to find out what is left of the "rich" line. Not through any hope of finding riches but more in hope of photos etc!!!

Bye for now.

Best wishes Brigcs

Offline brigcs

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 October 06 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwen,

Iwonder if your Mam saw us taking photos of Calland street on Saturday! We went to the archives yesterday. Those leaseholds were owned by the Calland family along with loads more in the area. I don't think they still hold any as I saw a winding up of accounts in 1982. It was all very interesting. We enjoyed our time in Wales and will certainly be going back.

Thanks for all your help.

Brigcs