Author Topic: 1851 Census Somerset lookups please  (Read 2283 times)

nooshie

1851 Census Somerset lookups please
« on: Wednesday 13 October 04 22:59 BST (UK) »
 :) I would like someone to look up John West born in Fivehead or Swell 1828 for his family - I think his parents were William & Mary.  He would have been single and an agricultural labourer aged 23.   Also  Isaac & Sarah Hooper of Ruishton, Somerset.  I am interested in their children, My great grandmother was Elena West nee Hooper and is their daughter - any other siblings?   Many thanks.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 Census Somerset lookups please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi nooshie,

This is from a transcript: I've found Isaac with a daughter Eleanor, but no Sarah.  Is this him?

HO107/1922 /417 Page 15
Schedule 55 no address other than Ruishton
HOOPER Isaac 50 Thatcher Isle Abbotts
Harriet 29 Isle Abbotts
Hannah 7 Scholar Isle Abbotts
Isaac 5 Ruishton, Som.
Eleanor 2 Ruishton, Som.
Geain ??? Daughter 1m Ruishton, Som.
GARLAND Ann Visitor Widow/er 25 Ag. Lab. Isle Abbotts

Can you give me a location for the West family - the names are very common and the index only has heads of household (allegedly) so a bit more detail may help locate the correct William amongst many.

Cheers

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 23:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry could not locate John West. There r no West's in Fivehead in 1851 and in Swell we have only this entry Mother? From 51 index I donot have scan

HO107/1926 Folio 561 Page 2 Entry 10
Six Elms Road
Swell

WEST Mary Widow 55 b Drayton Postwoman
WEST Robert 21 b Curry Rivell Som Ag Lab

Cheers Kris
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

nooshie

« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 October 04 20:37 BST (UK) »
 :D

Many thanks folks for your very prompt replies which are most interesting.  They are the right Hoopers so thanks you very much.  The generation above them are Isaac and Sarah who should be on the 1851 Census we are not sure if they are Ruishton or Isle Abbots however.  As regards John West born in Fivehead or Swell, we think his father died young so Mary would be a widow and Robert would be the right age to be his brother.  However we don't think it is them as our Mary West died in 1863 aged 72 (we think!!!)  we cannot verify any of these facts.

nooshie

« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 October 04 20:38 BST (UK) »
Also John West as an agricultural labourer could have been in any of the surrounding villages or Curry Rivel itself, all we know is that he was born in 1828 - any information would be very helpful.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 October 04 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Nooshie. I am afraid I am not having any luck whith your John West. I have tried the index and the only one I could c by that is a 22 year old gents gardener born Corston. I dont have any luck with the index as it is not alphabetical by christian name and I have been up and down the big list of Wests 3 times and dont c him........ but I would like to say that that certainly does not mean he is not there as by this index I do not c the Mary and Robert i found yesterday!!! (which makes me think it is basically useless which I y i usually just go to the village and look and bypass the index.

Personally I would not be too quick to discard Mary for the sake of 5 years particually when poss age at death is the diff between a number 2 and a number 7.. 72 or 77. (Also by index there is no Mary anywhere the age u suggest but again that probably means nothing)....Re John I have just looked at Curry Rivel and can tell u he isnt there. U mention the surrounding villages but not what they may be and I am afraid I am am Aussie and barely know where Somerset is LOL and certainly no idea what the surrounding villages may be. If u can give me somewhere to look I can try again for u

Sorry Kris :'(

nooshie

« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 October 04 22:17 BST (UK) »
Our John West was definitely born in either Fivehead or Swell.   Surrounding villages are Isle Abbots, Isle Brewers, Curry Mallet and Ruishton.  Thanks very much for looking though, much appreciated!

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 October 04 23:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry Nooshie...Tried again and failed only one West of interest in any of above villages he is

HO107/1926 Folio 599 Page 9 Entry 32
Home of William Batt Farmer of 80 acres
Curry Mallett

WEST Robert 19 Servant b Swell

Kris

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 October 04 23:31 BST (UK) »
PS... While I had Ruishton open I checked and the only Hoopers there have been provided by Nell..sorry
Kris