Author Topic: Visitors - who might they be??  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Visitors - who might they be??
« on: Wednesday 19 April 06 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I usually find that visitors at census time are cousins in disguise - however I am struggling to find any connection between the Bateman & the Quarrell families, yet I have the following details:

In the 1851 census George Bateman born Ware,aged 15 is working as an errand boy at the home of Elizabeth Quarrell and her 3 daughters in Hackney.

In the 1861 census George's mother Sarah has staying with her as a visitor, David Quarrell aged 14 a scholar, born in Hackney.

This is too much of a coincidence for me - but I can't find a marriage etc to connect the two families - any other ideas - or can you find a connection??

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Visitors - who might they be??
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

I had the same thing.
One unknown 11 year old boy was listed with my Medcalf clan in the 1861(?) census. I had no idea just who he was until (through brick walls and utter boredom) I traced the aunts and uncles of the Medcalf family and low and behold - I found the 11 year old lad was actually the great nephew twice removed (or something equally distant) to my Medcalf lot.
It appears that Everyone knew Everyone in the small towns back then so chances are your lot will be related but you may need to go back a generation or two.

By the way, although the 11 yr old was "family" he was still written on the census as "Visitor".

There will be a link - you just have to look harder (and further afield)

Ahh well, it will keep you out of mischief for a while  ;D

Di
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

As Di's said there must be a link. If they're not sisters or cousins, they could be old friends/neighbours of some kind.

I've had a mother in law noted as 'visitor' on a number of occasions.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget & Di,

Thanks for those reassuring comments  ??? ???

Do that mean I now have to trace the Quarrells back 2 generations!!

But I don't like a mystery - then again will it be worth it - but then again I don't like a mystery.............................

Ahh think I had better have a game of bowls to settle my mind...........

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 11:39 BST (UK) »
Keith,

In my experience visitors are always "family" - however difficult it might be to find the connexion.

And, as the redoubtable and ever-reliable Valda says, "Loose ends should always be tied up where possible and can be very useful".

Let's hope this one proves to be so.

Though whether (to paraphrase a legend) you have time to finish the game of bowls and trace the Quarrells ....

Cheers,

JAP

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 11:45 BST (UK) »
Keith,
Though whether (to paraphrase a legend) you have time to finish the game of bowls and trace the Quarrells ....
Cheers,

JAP

Now where did that come from - wonder whether he won BOTH battles!! ;D

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith
Couldn't resist a little bit of burrowing. The David Quarrell you have is son of David Quarrell a butcher born Hackney circa 1813 and Juliana/Julia also born Hackney. In 1871 however they are in Hoddeston, Herts with Juliana's brother Charles Franklin staying with them.
Well it kept me out of mischief for a while ;D

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 11:54 BST (UK) »
And in 1891 David Quarrell the younger has what looks like one of Elizabeth's daughters Mary A staying with him listed as Aunt.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Keith Bateman

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 April 06 12:09 BST (UK) »

It depends on where I want to take this!! :o :o

1892 on the same page in BMD - Sarah Bateman & Mary Elizabeth Quarrell - but as that is Pershore, Worcs - it is to far away - isn't it  ??? ??? ???

Keith

Has Bouncing Emails