Author Topic: Shipping Connection IOM to NW Scotland in mid 1800s  (Read 4661 times)

Offline irod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shipping Connection IOM to NW Scotland in mid 1800s
« on: Wednesday 19 April 06 17:34 BST (UK) »
My Gt Gt Grandmother Catherine Maddrell married Robert McKenzie Mcleod from Lochinver, Sutherland, Scotland on 24 Feb 1869 at Kirk Rushen, Isle of Man, England.  Robert was a seaman steward in the Merchant Service. 

I have been searching to find out whether there was a passenger shipping connection between the IOM and NW Scotland and wonder whether anyone has any information.  I have thought that Robert might have served on one of the early Caledonian Macbrayne ferries.   

Offline Frances_mnb

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping Connection IOM to NW Scotland in mid 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 April 06 23:21 BST (UK) »
no direct passenger service - the IoM Steam Packet Co ran a virtual monopoly - mostly to Liverpool but there were a few summer sailings to Scottish ports  (for the Glasgow trade), nothing I know of further north - however you would probably be better off looking at fishermen as the Manx boats went up to Scotland as well as across to Kinsale in Ireland.
any thing with a Manx Connection

Offline irod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 May 06 18:06 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for the info.  I had considered fishing boats originally until I found Robert's  occupation described as Seaman Steward on family certificates.  Perhaps fishing boats did have stewards and that those sailing out of Lochinver travelled as far south as IOM. Just goes to show that no line of enquiry should be discounted!!!   Thanks again for the interest - much appreciated.

Offline sandyjoyce

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 December 11 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Catherine 'Mona' Miller was my Great Aunt ... I wonder why she doesn't speak of her mother but only of her gandmother, being Catherine Maddrill (maiden name)

She was born 4th Aug 1912

She was married (2nd marriage) to my father's (Peter Brook Joyce) father's (Howard Francis Brook Joyce) brother, Raymond Hewlett Joyce - they had 3 children, Marjory, Keith and Robert Joyce, there were already other children, one being Francis who is still alive today

Fascinating, and thank you for your post, I couldn't find who Robert MacGregor Mcloud Miller was for the life of me!, so now I have his grandparents, wonder who their mother was?? I have father as Robert.

Here is an interview with her, they were fascinating people with real history in their lives!

http://www2.wheaton.edu/bgc/archives/GUIDES/535.htm

So we are related, I think cousins maybe once removed ... who was your father/mother in relation, I seem to be going down my father's side only

Offline irod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 December 11 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Catherine 'Mona' Miller was my 1st cousin twice removed.  My GG Grandparents (Robert Mckenzie McLeod & Catherine Maddrell) were her grandparents.  Have sent you a personal message