Author Topic: Death of Henry Shaw, Ottawa  (Read 10053 times)

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Death of Henry Shaw, Ottawa
« on: Thursday 20 April 06 08:06 BST (UK) »
I don't know if anyone can help with the following?

I'm looking for the death of a HENRY ARTHUR SHAW (my g-grandfather) sometime between 1881 and 1906 in the Ottawa area, Ontario.  He is believed to have been from Ireland and was a farmer, but I have no further details on him. 

My grandfather, JOHN ARTHUR SHAW, gave these details when he married his first wife in 1906 in London.  Unfortunately, my grandfather changed his name at least twice, and was rather a shady character, so the authenticity of this info is questionable....  :-[

I don't know how difficult it might be to check on Henry Shaw's death, so apologies in advance if I there isn't enough detail, or trawling for his death is going to be really difficult.  ???

Many thanks for any help or advice.

Clara
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Henry Shaw, Ottawa
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 April 06 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Clara,

Don't you just love those grandfather's who make genealogy so interesting!  :) 

Was John Arthur Shaw born in Ontario? 

Any idea when Henry Arthur Shaw might have been born?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 06 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi, Karen!  I think I may be opening a can of worms here....

My grandfather, JOHN ARTHUR SHAW, was (he says!) born in Ottawa on 1 Jan 1881, but some time ago on another message board, some kind person had a look for him and there was no record of his birth in Ottawa. 

More confusion to add to the pot here..... my grandfather also gave his name, as a young man, as JAMES ALOYSIUS SMITH.  It's OK, Karen, you can retire from this thread now!!  I won't hold it against you!!  ;)  (By the way, the person on the other message board looked for the birth of a James Aloysius Smith as well on 1 Jan 1881 in Ottawa and found nothing).

So I'm approaching it from another angle now...using the info my grandfather gave about his own father on his marriage certificate (HENRY ARTHUR SHAW, farmer, deceased at the time of John's 1st  marriage, ie 1906).  My grandfather apparently always hinted that his family had originated from Ireland.

So this is my conundrum - seeing whether any of this info checks out, or if it's all lies.  If it is, then I've no hope of finding out any more about my grandfather's past.....if his name isn't Shaw or Smith, then it could be anything!  :-\

I'm just hoping for a break!?  ???

Clara
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 April 06 14:26 BST (UK) »
Well lets see what we can find out....

There is a birth for a John Shaw on July 10, 1877 with parents Henry Shaw and Sarah Ann Young, father is listed as a farmer in County of Renfrew, Division of Horton.  County of Renfrew is beside the County of Carlton.

Still looking......

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 April 06 14:50 BST (UK) »
Just going with that Henry I found, in the 1871 Head of Household Index, he says he was born in Ontario, and ethnic orgin is Irish.  He is also listed as an Innkeeper.
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 April 06 15:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info, Karen.  Looks interesting.......!

The only other info I have on my grandfather's early life is that he reckons he was brought up in a Christian Brother's orphanage in ?Ottawa (?presumably his parents died when he was young); and on his army enlistment papers when he was aged 19, in London in 1900, he gives his next of kin as 'elder brothers, David and John Smith, address unknown'.  He joined the army (and later, the navy) as JAMES ALOYSIUS SMITH, but married (and was known for the rest of his life) as JOHN ARTHUR SHAW.

Sorry, this is a really difficult one ???  To be honest, I'd recently resigned myself to giving up on him, but some times it all just bugs me again, and I have another go - or try to get someone else to help!!

Clara

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 April 06 15:34 BST (UK) »
I know how you feel, must be something in the water in Ottawa as my grandfather, who was a little shady himself was there at one point, and he keeps lying on all his forms as well!  I'm hoping today I will get his marriage certificate in the mail and see what story he has come up with this time.

It seems the Christian Brother's did have an orphange in Ottawa.  There was also St. George's home which was RC, that's were the British Home Children were sent. 

Any idea why your grandfather went to England? 

I'll see what I can find on John and David Smith....

Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 April 06 16:02 BST (UK) »
Well, there was a James Aloysius Smith who got married in Guelph, Ontario October 25, 1881.....

Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 April 06 16:17 BST (UK) »
Wow, I was just going to post you (see below) - rather strange to find another James Aloysius Smith - will have to think about that one!?)

No, not sure why he ended up in England.  He is supposed to have "run away from his orphanage and gone to sea", or so the story goes!!  

In October 1900, he enlisted in the Prince of Wales' Leinster Regiment in London - his previous occupation given as 'farm labourer'.  He deserted his regiment in Dec 1905 and a month later, joined the navy (again, using the name JAMES ALOYSIUS SMITH, but this time his date of birth was given as 1 Jan 1884).  Whilst in the navy, he married his 1st wife, but used the name JOHN ARTHUR SHAW!?  ???

After a year in the navy, he deserted, settled down to marriage and children in London (as John Arthur Shaw), but 3 years later was either caught for desertion, or handed himself in, and was sent with his Leinster battalion to serve in India (as James Aloysius Smith) with poor old Mrs Shaw and baby Shaws in tow!  :o

He was obviously a bit of a shady character to say the least (although I remember him as a jolly old grandad), but it's just trying to unravel this mystery of him prior to 1900 - his Canadian origins!!

Thanks for helping   :)

Clara