Author Topic: Death of Henry Shaw, Ottawa  (Read 10047 times)

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Death of Henry Shaw, Ottawa
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 23 April 06 20:39 BST (UK) »
Karen - now that really looks promising, and might be worth getting hold of to see what the middle name was....I actually haven't yet checked out ordering certificates from Canada.... ???

One thing which I meant to ask before, is the Canadian 1881 census fairly 'available' (ie like the UK one is here)?  Because if it is, and my grandfather's name WAS either James Smith or John Shaw, then he would have shown up as a small baby on the census, and is more likely to still have been with his parents.

Just a thought....

Clara 
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 23 April 06 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Clara,

Yes, the 1881 in on-line with the familysearch.org site.

The death for that Henry, I looked at the original, and it dosn't list what the middle name is.  For Ontario, births, marriages and deaths are free to look at through the Archives up to 1908 for Birth, 1921 for marriages and 1932 for death with a new year added.  Anything over those years you have to order directly from the Province.

I thought that it was interesting, especially being in the police station.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 23 April 06 21:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Karen - just to check, is the 1881 census for Canada comprehensive?  Also, if my memory serves me right, do you have to search by location?  I just remember trying to search for my grandfather before, and it was difficult with the limited info I had.

Also, when you say the Ontario BMDs are free to look at through the Archives, do you mean from www.collectionscanada.ca?

Many thanks

Clara
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 23 April 06 21:17 BST (UK) »
There are some on-line through the Ontario Vital Statistics Project, and of course www.ancestry.ca has them as well.  But for a complete listing you have to do it the old fashion way on microfilm at the library's, but they are quite simple as they are in alphabetical order.

The 1881 is easy to search for Canada, the 1901 and 1911 census are on-line as well.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 23 April 06 21:25 BST (UK) »
Another photo of this strange, elusive little man, taken on hols in Jersey with my grandma, I think, in the 50s - this is how I remember him.  

(He really was little, only about 5' 4", I think, whereas my grandma was about 5' 10" (my height, I take after her, and look like her!).  I always couldn't believe I had these strange grandparents, where my grandma was much taller than my granddad  :o)

Clara

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 23 April 06 21:36 BST (UK) »
Another great picture Clara, I think he might be laughing at us, saying, "go ahead, try and figure it out, I dare ya!"  :)

Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 23 April 06 22:07 BST (UK) »
Cheers, Karen!  I've felt exactly that - almost like he's had a premonition about the interest in family history before it happened, and made sure that he was going to make it difficult!!

Still pondering on all the info everyone's posted..... ???  But thanks, everyone, for trying to help - I do appreciate it!

Clara

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 23 April 06 23:30 BST (UK) »
It's only all been posted to help should it be found later that he is one or the
other...No need to think we've wasted any of our time on this. It's intriguing,
so we are enjoying it...we are throwing about thoughts until one bounces
a few times...

Oh, Karen's new find looks interesting, as it could make the most sense, as
here we have a fellow already passed on one month after the birth of our man...

Could the mother have been pregnant by one man and married another, thus
the several names...or have we a jokester for an ancestor who never knew a father & made one up?....Great photos of our rogue, by the way...he has a very nice smile...( the rotter ;D )

Smiths born in 1881
http://www.ogs.on.ca/ogspi/188/b188s000.htm#smith

Have checked many things re: 1881 for John Shaw....& James Smith...elusive
little tyke...Now, had he been in a home or in transit to a facility, perhaps he might have been missed...
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp
Just go to the census datatbase and select Canadian Census...then Ontario for Province...Of course once you have more information you can be more specific to the area.

re: the police thing, would there be any records in existence from that far back?
Thinking out loud...J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 23 April 06 23:59 BST (UK) »
I wonder where Agnes St. police station would be now, or at least what area of Toronto. 

I'm sure there would be newspapers around that time, perhaps the Globe and if someone died in the police station it would make news?

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England