Author Topic: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.  (Read 58404 times)

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 15:22 GMT (UK) »
I concur with the view that there is need for a public face, my concern is that untried research is so often taken as fact and then repeated with the resultant muddying of the waters which causes no end of problems.

The issues of who moderates, supports and maintains a site are important and must be settled before a group will become viable. If there is a way to develop a more substantial presence with the opportunity for private discussion and transfer of information before publication on this or a similar site then using these resources makes sense.

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 16:01 GMT (UK) »
I have a distant cousin, from the Symington side, who introduced me to this site,  My Heritage.com which she uploaded her tree on.  One can make the tree open or private.  It seems to offer features such as monthly notifications of additions to the tree.  Pictures can be uploaded, etc.  Here is a link.  Folks could check it out for themselves. 

http://www.myheritage.com/blogs/companyblog/2009/04/news/myheritage-is-the-most-popular

It will be important to make sure that the site allows multiple access for uploading of information, etc.

Related to the ongoing discussion, I have found Ancestry.com to be a valuable source of information.  However, the family trees don't seem to be accessible if you don't have a membership, which makes me reluctant to go in that direction.  I have never explored uploading a tree on Rootsweb, but it seems they are a totally free site... however I don't know if they take photos, etc....

Again, it seems valuable to create opportunities to share information, as it allows the work and experience of all the researchers to be available, rather than each of us working in isolation. 

Best,
Roxanna

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi RedRover,

Thanks again.  I was able to obtain a death certificate for a daughter of George Pentland (who had moved from Drumgor to Derrykeevan).  On the death certificate her mother was listed as Jane or Jennie Anderson.  So I have been hoping to find a record of the marriage of George Pentland and Jane/Jennie Anderson taking place about 1822 in Drumgor or thereabouts.

George's parents were Alexander and Elizabeth (maiden name unknown) Pentland.  Listed below are birth records for some children born to the couple, though the George of our line is not included..

Elizabeth daughter to Alexander and Elizabeth Pentland, Drumgor, baptised 07 Sep 1801
John son to Alexander and Elizabeth Pentland, Drumgor, baptised 22 Jan 1804
John son to Alexander and Elizabeth Pentland, Drumgor, baptised 14 Jun 1807
Samuel son to Alexander and Elizabeth Pentland, Drumgor, baptised 26 Aug 1810

If any of these names are recognized, please let me know.  It seems my earliest starting location is to be looking for Pentlands from Drumgor, in the early 1800s....

Thanks,
Roxanna

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Its moving ahead but..

My experience with LDS and, i am afraid with Ancestry, has not been good. I'm afraid that any move to publish, especially there would be without me. Happy to supply details and evidence offline, if required.

Identity theft is a growing problem. We should not make ity easier for the criminals and however we see our duty to future generations (something as a recently retired Uni lecturer I do have some record of commitment to!) its not a good idea to expose our hard won data now, nor would it be in their interest.

We all have some skills, time or locational advantages. What we need is to find a way to share them in an even handed way without taking advantage and while protecting one another and our families interests.

Please folks, neither should we commit to a commercial site which may at a later date change its rules to open our data to others.

- Genes Reunited could be good. A new membership with more than one of us able to access it would work but wil it allow more than one access at any one time? It wont import ged files so a lot of typing will be required?

- The PHP approach looks worth considering.

- If we all had GMail we could chat there as well as mail one another far more securely than even here ;-) Who wants an invitation?

Colin
PS WW... I took 2500+ digital photos and downloaded every night to my MacBook uploading to Picasa when an online access was available all over Oz & NZ (Starbucks is ideal but NO granola bars!) so the grandkids got what we took asap as well as the GPS references! IT rocks... even better than SLRs ;-)

YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Website
I posted in this thread soon after it started and have been following it ever since. I don't have a direct Pentland connection, so I'm happy for the rest of you to make decisions on where/how to create a web presence, but I do have a bit of experience of websites etc.

First, Rootsweb is completely free, though pages have Ancestry banner ads. There are a number of options there: I think it's possible to upload a GEDCOM and have pages generated automatically (or has this facility now been transferred to Ancestry?), but my experience there is with Freepages, where any kind of FH site can be uploaded. You can see mine by clicking the globe on the left of this message.

Freepages sites can include guest books, but they are rather prone to spamming. For a while I tried having a blog for people to comment in, but there was very little interest (and a lot of spam to deal with) so I gave it up. Rootsweb don't host blogs, so this had to be elsewhere.

Another possibility would be to get some webspace, either free (with ads) or paid for. I have a personal site with Relichost for a very reasonable fee; I'm currently using it for a photo gallery, but I could if I wished upload a similar site to my Rootsweb one, and host a blog or mailing list or my own forum. phpgedview might be a possibility as well, but I haven't looked into it.

I've also read good reports of Tribal Pages, and I understand there are various options for public/private access.

I wonder if it might in the end come down to a combination of sites (at least to begin with, as experience might help in clarifying what is needed), depending on exactly how you see the project developing:
Is the tree to be a definitive one that is open to the public? If so, I suggest that one person only (and a reserve) has access to it, who will incorporate everyone else's research.
If it's to be a collaborative tree that anyone can work on, then the Tribal Pages approach might be good, but I don't know if TP includes any discussion tools as well.

Some kind of blog or forum seems to me a fairly essential part of the venture, either as part of the whole package or standalone. There are a number of collaborative web-based family tree packages available - Google brings up My Heritage, Geni and Famiva to name a few, and I've no doubt there will be many more - and it may be worth investigating how well these would fit the bill. Could someone do this, with the aim of producing a shortlist of definite options?

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alegou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 29 December 09 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Here is a gmail account. Starts familypentland etc.

How would it work. We all have the password  or/then send emails to the address or leave any information we have in drafts. Quite happy to let people have the password. More than happy to 'upload' the information I have, marriage details, witnesses etc.

Just mail familypentland.

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 03 January 10 16:27 GMT (UK) »
... back for a moment to the real purpose of this thread - I took this photo in New Zealand in November kmnowing that there is an Uprichard/Pentland connection.

Does anyone have any idea who Robert Uprichard was?

Colin
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline gardenboffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 04 January 10 10:56 GMT (UK) »
We use 'My Heritage' This is a free page. and once signed in comments can be made.
We have only the Gippsland Pentlands on this site beginning from Co. Armagh.  :)

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 04 January 10 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Garden Boffin

If I had known you were there I could have dropped in to see you when I was on the Princes Highway... are you in touch with Audrey in Orbost? She is a Pentland Descendant.

Can you proffer the url of the My Hertage site you mention please?

Colin