Author Topic: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.  (Read 58401 times)

Offline gardenboffin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.
« Reply #54 on: Monday 04 January 10 13:08 GMT (UK) »
MyHeritage.com - Free Family Tree - Genealogy - Family Photos
Create your family tree and discover your family history. Free genealogy software. ... My mother  .. Me. MyHeritage.com is. free, ... MyHeritage Ltd. English ...
www.myheritage.com - Cached
Celebrities
Genealogy
Downloads
Community
295328526 Names »
5264772 Family Sites »
About Us
28251704 Members »
more results from myheritage.com »

Audrey!

Offline Alegou

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 04 January 10 20:56 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking over some old notes of mine that I made a couple of years ago when I was at PRONI.

Pentlands do not really figure too much in my research. I am connected to George Pentland from Drumnakelly, near Mullavilly in County Armagh, early 19th century and I really do not have much to go on as far as research is concerned.

Anyway the scribbled and now faded notes say the following, please forgive if this is information already known by most of us here.

James, son of Henry and Deborah Pentland, born 27th? March 1823.
David born 4th March 1828, son of John and Ann Pentland, Mullahead, John a farmer.
Elizabeth Catherine Jane?, born 15th June 1827, parents Willian and Rebecca.

Last a Pentleton, Marianne, born 1838?, father George, Drum??

Anybody who has been at PRONI will know how difficult it is to read the films. Also, if you are like me, time is always short and the desire to learn as much as possible in as less time as possible does not always lend itself to the most accurate of information gathering.

Offline Floridadream

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 02:23 BST (UK) »
Has been a while since I posted to any board.  Seeking to share information on Armagh born Pentland families, particularly around Ballyworkan.  I have photos of related and maybe-related family burials stones in Drumcree, Seagoe, and Mullavilly.

Other Armagh lines Uprichard, Morrow, Gibson, Dermot, Gardiner.

Also, I have alpha index of names for Pentland (and similar) for Scotland, Mid-Lothian Christening, Births and Marriages 1600-1800's.

Offline Floridadream

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 02:49 BST (UK) »
Here is a photo of the long view of two Pentland plots in Mullavilly with the marker of which I was speaking for William of 1863 and for Jessie of 1973 in the background (the light gray site).  The darker site, in the foreground is also Pentland of Ballyworkan, but with more recent dates (John S. died 1999 age 66; Annie died 1950 age 46; and Thomas Henry died 1983 age 91).  Also in between there is a floral urn for Frederick in memoriam, but no dates.

In another site there is a marker for Ann Pentland died 1876 age 45 and George her husband who died at Ballylisk in 1873 at 64 and son W.H. who died in in action in 1916 at age 45 (also names of Whiteside & Redpath).

There may be more markers at Mullavilly, but my sister lost her photo disk !!

There are still Pentlands living in Ballyworkan. Mullavilly is the family parish.

Offline gardenboffin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 07 April 10 13:38 BST (UK) »
I noticed on the Ross Davis site that there is a   'David Pentland died 1912'  . Does anyone have more info on this Pentland?  I am hoping that it could actually be Davis Pentland  of Bainbridge born about 1825, Drumcree.

Offline JANtoes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 31 May 10 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anybody help me please? My Pentlands are originally from Ireland, but I am unsure where abouts? They are living in liverpool on the 1841 census so not sure when they moved from Ireland? They are Alexander Pentland born abt 1765 his son James Pentland abt 1821 and his daughter Margaret abt 1823. If anybody can give me any info I would be a very happy bunny! Jan x

Offline Colin Y

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Uncle Fred - England 1908 - POW 1914-19 - Bilbao
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 31 May 10 20:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Gardenboffin (?)

The Pentlands were Scots Irish who lived in Ireland, mostly in Ulster but originated from Midlothian. Their history is fascinating.

However the only Alexander P I know of, mentioned as born c1760, is Roxannas relly - see elsewhere on this site.

There are James's in Liverpool and Birkenhead, one born c 1820 in Ireland, a Blacksmith but no Margaret con ection.

Could they be the ones who went to New Brunswick, Canada?

Colin Pentland Y
YARWOOD in Warks/Ches but also London, Northants, Lincs, USA and Australia.
PENTLAND in Warks/Staffs/Yorks, Arm IRL: Chch NZ post 1884 and SCO pre 1800.
COLLINS aka COLLERIN , GALLAGHER & COX [RC] Highgate, Small Heath, Birmingham 1840-, Mayo IRL bef.
FRYER/FRIAR Lurgan Armagh, Edin & Glasgow SCO
BROOKES WH & WFP RA WW1 & 2
NEWSON & 'WATTS' Felixstow SFK, NZ,
HORTON, Surgn  Warwicks. FORTESCUE
PARKER, Charles, 1800-1853 Milit.Ornament Manuf. Aston, Gravelly Hill, Birmingham,

Offline Planters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 04 June 12 11:08 BST (UK) »
... Also in between there is a floral urn for Frederick in memoriam, but no dates...

In the time which has passed since this post has anyone identifed which of the two flanking plots relatesvto this urn?

Offline Planters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 04 June 12 11:20 BST (UK) »
the W. H. who died in 1916 is surely the son of George Pentland and Ann O'Hara.

In another site there is a marker for Ann Pentland died 1876 age 45 and George her husband who died at Ballylisk in 1873 at 64 and son W.H. who died in in action in 1916 at age 45 (also names of Whiteside & Redpath).

that said I am puzzled by the second post which appears to suggest there was a second William Henry who died in action during 1916, mother Ann Miller. The problem with this is that the CWGC site has only one W. H. Pentland who died in 1916 - can anyone explain this apparent discrepancy?

Trying to trace the parents of a John Pentland, father James, who married an Anne Pentland in 1886. Both bride and groom came from Drumnakelly in Co. Armagh so rather presume that they were cousins.

One of the witnesses at the wedding was a Thomas George Pentland and as his father was called James, presume that he was John’s brother.

John Pentland was a soldier so perhaps it is not surprising that I can find no trace of him or his family in the census of 1901 and 1911. He may well have been stationed abroad.

Ann’s father was called George and I thought perhaps that she was the child of a George Pentland married to an Anne Miller in 1852, Mullavilly in County Armagh.

Another Pentland soldier also had a father called George, mother also called Ann.
Although his death at the age of 45 in 1916 (see below) would rather indicate that he was a son of George and Ann O’Hara because there is a record of them having a son called William who was born in 1871.

See this  record, 

“Private William Henry Pentland (Married Mary Anne Whitten, (see Carrowbrack 1911 Irish census) 17982, 9th Bn., Royal Irish Fusiliers, who was killed in action during an attack on the village of Beaumont-Hamel on 1 July 1916, aged 45, on the opening day of the Battle of the Somme.  He was born in Aldershot, Hants, the son of George and Ann Pentland, Ballylisk, and he lived at Mary Street, Portadown.
He is buried in Ancre British Cemetery, Beaumont-Hamel, the Somme, and his name is remembered on a headstone in Mullavilly Parish Churchyard, and on the Portadown War Memorial and on the Tandragee War Memorial.”

Rather interesdingly if you search the 1881 census for England you will find more than one Irish born Pentland who had military connections.

If there was only one W. H. Pentland does that mean the other marker mentioned above is the grave of George Pentland and Ann O'Hara?