Author Topic: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.  (Read 58434 times)

Offline AirtinHame

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pentland - Uprichard, Gibson, Morrow. Ballyworkan.
« Reply #72 on: Monday 20 August 12 07:20 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

Jeremiah Pentland (b. 1863) and Dinah Morrow (b. 1864) were the parents of James Pentland (b. 1893) as per Colin V's tree below. However the comment "d. Canada" isn't quite right. He did originally go to Canada with his brother and enlisted in the Canadian army, but he came back to Portadown to get married and stayed there. He had three children: Muriel, Gordon and Evelyn. He died in Portadown in 1960 or 1961.

That is very useful, thank you. Would this be the JAmes Pentland who married Catherine Munro?

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 03 September 12 16:27 BST (UK) »
Just been on the Pentland name board and there is some really interesting Irish Pentland material appearing but nobody seems to know enough to answer the questions. the posters obviously don't know about this thread but maybe one of you dedicated and knowledgeable Irish Pentland researchers might pop over there and see if you can help. http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.pentland/mb.ashx

Offline BoerToPentland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Saturday 27 April 13 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I have a definite connection to the Pentland's of Armagh.  William Pentland c. 1829 is the ancestor of my step father, Richard John Pentland (William is his GG Grandfather).  I started researching the family after meeting another Pentland who lives in Launceston, Tasmania.  His ancestors cam from Perthsire, Scotland and emigrated to Australia in the mid 1860's and settled in Walhalla, Gippsland, Victoria, where gold was first discovered in 1863.  Three brothers George Pentland, Thomas Campbell Pentland and William Christie Pentland (and probably a cousin Colin Campbell Pentland) started this line of Australian Pentland's.

After reviewing this family's history with Mr Pentland in Launceston, I was sure we were related as my ancestor, William Pentland also settled in the same region (Traralgon, Victoria), just 45km south east of Walhalla.

As it turns out, the only way Mr Pentland (Launceston) and myself could be related is from two sources:
1. By researching way back to find the link between Perthshire Scotland Pentland's and the Armagh, Ireland Pentland's; or
2. By finding a link between my Grandmother (Dorothy Edith Lang 1895-1953) and Mr Pentland's Walhalla ancestors (Jeannie Sinclair Lang 1868-?).  Jeannie married Thomas C Pentland, both of whom were born in Walhalla.

I recall a family story about a relative who owned an Inn (or perhaps a boarding house) in Walhalla.  This house still remains today and is now a private residence.

Whilst my Family Tree was actually begun to research the Pentland family, it has also grown to include my relatives from my dutch parents from the Netherlands and relatives from my wife's American family.  Consequently the tree is enormous!

I would be very interested in participating in the research of the Pentland family in Ireland and a possible link back to Perthshire. 

I have quite strong evidence that the microfilm of the 1851 census from Perthshire indicates that a widow, Janet Pentland, aged 45 at the time, resided at Balhousie Farm  Her parents were David Christie Pentland and Agnes ne Robertson.

I have also located an incredible account by George E Pentland from Hanover, Ontario, Canada, written April 11th 1948.  It is an account of the descendants of Alexander Pentland and Elizabeth Wilson who were married at Carrington, Scotland about 1540.

I am 55 now and very few of my stepfather's generation appear to be alive now (he and one of his sisters are).  But since there are so many of the Victorian Pentland's building family trees and much of that information is publicly available, I have collected considerable history here.

One of my step brothers travelled to Scotland to seek family history, yet it is quite clear that the known history lies in Armagh, Ireland.  If it is possible to eventually find the link it would be a wonderful topping to the tree.

I look forward to participating with the Pentland clans all over the world.

Regards
from Geelong, Victoria, Australia

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 29 April 13 12:55 BST (UK) »
Three brothers George Pentland, Thomas Campbell Pentland and William Christie Pentland (and probably a cousin Colin Campbell Pentland) started this line of Australian Pentland's.

It may help a little i I explain the middle names:
  • Campbell comes for the Breadalbane Campbells a daughter of which family married George Pentland of Perth.
    Christie was the surname of John Pentland's wife Janet.

I have quite strong evidence that the microfilm of the 1851 census from Perthshire indicates that a widow, Janet Pentland, aged 45 at the time, resided at Balhousie Farm  Her parents were David Christie Pentland and Agnes ne Robertson.

Janet Christie's father was David Christie and mother Ann Robertson.

I have also located an incredible account by George E Pentland from Hanover, Ontario, Canada, written April 11th 1948.  It is an account of the descendants of Alexander Pentland and Elizabeth Wilson who were married at Carrington, Scotland about 1540.

George E Pentland's book is an extremely useful record of his Canadian branch of the Pentland family which came from Ireland. The reseach done for George E. by as professional researcher in Edinburgh was of extremely poor quality and has been largely discredited in recent years. Most of the generation who were claimed to have emigrated to Canade via Ireland can be fairly easiliy traced in Scotland after the period when they are believed to have emigrated.

One of my step brothers travelled to Scotland to seek family history, yet it is quite clear that the known history lies in Armagh, Ireland.

There is little doubt that the Irish Pentland families are descended from Scots but tracing that connection is far from simple. There were immigrants to Ireland after the Plantation of Ulster and a Pentland was among them but his connections are simple enough to trace from Perth to his death in Dundalk.

The earliest Pentland currently know to be recorded in Ireland was in Belfast in 1643. Whether that indicates he emigrated there at that time or he was the second generation of a family who emigrated during the Plantation is yet to be proved.

There were two phases to the Ulster Plantation: the first around 1603 a private matter between O'Neill, Hamilton and Montgomery and the second, the better known 1609 - 1611 Plantation engineered by James sixth and first. The location of the earlier Pentlands around the Co. Down area suggests they may have been part of the earlier plantation but so far that is simply conjecture.

I look forward to participating with the Pentland clans all over the world

I welcome every new researcher into the Pentland family and still favour the idea of amalgamating research in a single tree to reduce reinvention of the wheel when there is still so much to discover.

Offline BoerToPentland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 29 April 13 22:58 BST (UK) »
I have information here that the Breadalbane Campbell daughter was Louisa M. Campbell.  This line of the Pentland family came to Victoria from Perthshire, Scotland about 1863 to 1866 and appear to have gone straight to Walhalla (gold rush town at that time) and Thomas Campbell Pentland married Jeannie Sinclair Lang (born 5/11/1868 in Walhalla, Victoria, Australia).  Jeannie's parents were Alexander Lang (born about 1838 in Glasgow, Scotland) and Mary Sinclair (also born about 1838 in Glasgow, Scotland).

Our first Australian ancestor arrived from Ireland (William Pentland 2 June 1829- 28 March 1900) in Geelong on 30 March 1852.  It was not until November 1872 that he moved his family to a pioneering area called Loy Yang (near Traralgon, Victoria) which is a mere 50km from Walhalla.

My interest in this line of the Pentland's is that my paternal Grandmother's maiden name was Lang and there is an old family story about an ancestor running a boarding house (or Inn or hotel) in Walhalla.  That building still exists and is now a private residence, but I do remember going inside it when I was quite young (about 8 or 10) when it was disused.  Maybe there is a link between the two families there?

As for George E Pentland's book, I have since noticed that there are discrepancies, but it is still a clever attempt.  But since that line of the Pentland family seems to be very distant from mine I have no need for any of its information at this time.

The Irish link of my line stops at Richard Pentland (about 1795 to 1880) who married Mary Ann David about 1828.  It appears they resided in the village of Annagh in the Parish of Drumcree but page 154 of the Griffith's Evaluation does not indicate a date.  There may be a link to George, Hohn and Deborah Pentland who resided in Drumnakelly and owned House, office and land.  I will explore this possibility as it is indicated that our emigrating George was born in Drumnakelly.

After reading much I realise now that the term "clan" is not applicable, and I too would be very keen to amalgamate the research into one tree (eventually).

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 07:59 BST (UK) »
I have information here that the Breadalbane Campbell daughter was Louisa M. Campbell.  This line of the Pentland family came to Victoria from Perthshire, Scotland about 1863 to 1866 and appear to have gone straight to Walhalla (gold rush town at that time) and Thomas Campbell Pentland married Jeannie Sinclair Lang (born 5/11/1868 in Walhalla, Victoria, Australia).  Jeannie's parents were Alexander Lang (born about 1838 in Glasgow, Scotland) and Mary Sinclair (also born about 1838 in Glasgow, Scotland).

Yes, Louisa was John Pentland's mother. Colin, who emigrated to Australia had several siblings including an elder brother John who joined the army, was posted to Ireland, married a local girl and died in Dundalk. So far as I have been able to find he has no connection with any other Irish Pentland family.

The information about Thomas Campbell Pentland and Jeanie Sinclair Lang is new to me. I have a record of three daughters born to Colin Pentland and his wife Mary Leys but no sons. I will return to research this line at some point so would be interested in hearing more about the early Australian generations.

Offline worldlywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 09:23 BST (UK) »
The Irish link of my line stops at Richard Pentland (about 1795 to 1880) who married Mary Ann David about 1828.  It appears they resided in the village of Annagh in the Parish of Drumcree but page 154 of the Griffith's Evaluation does not indicate a date.  There may be a link to George, Hohn and Deborah Pentland who resided in Drumnakelly and owned House, office and land.  I will explore this possibility as it is indicated that our emigrating George was born in Drumnakelly.

The Primary valuation of County Armagh took place in 1858.

I am puzzled as to the relationship between the brothers and Colin Pentland who you suggest was a cousin. Janet Christie had sons named William (born 1845) and George by John Pentland and the middle names you suggest point to these being from their family; Colin would have been their uncle.

You said, however, that you have found evidence of an Irish connection for William and that he was born in 1829, may I ask what that evidence is?

Offline BoerToPentland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 12:11 BST (UK) »
We are getting the two arms of the Pentland family in Australia mixed up here.  Colin was the cousin of the three brothers who emigrated from Scotland and not related to my ancestor George who came from Ireland.  George Pentland (from Ireland) has a Death Certificate here that confirms he was from Armagh, Ireland and his father was Richard Pentland. I can email information if you wish.  My email address is (*)
Send me an email and I will collate all I know about both Pentland families from Gippsland Victoria, Australia.
Alternatively you may be able to view my family tree with the following link (if it works):
http://trees.ancestry.com.au/tree/44115455/family?cfpid=6162874875
By starting with my Step Father, Richard John Pentland, you can work back to Richard Pentland from Annagh.  There is considerable evidence along the way.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline BoerToPentland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 06 June 13 05:25 BST (UK) »
William emigrated in 1852, a year before his bride. Is it known whcih ships they travelled on and if not where were the years of their emigration found?

About twelve months ago you asked this question.  I can tell you that William arrived at Point Henry, Geelong (a mere 3km from where I now live) on the ship "Cambodia" on the 31st March 1852.  This is verified in the Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists, 1839–1923.  Elizabeth (Eliza) Ewings arrived 12th January 1850 at Geelong on the ship Diadem, aged 15.  It is highly likely that she came as the result of the Great Famine as there were more than 4,000 girls aged between 14 and 18 who immigrated to Australia.  This particular ship carried made two voyages arriving 13 October 1849 and 10 January 1850.  This can be verified on the following web page:

http://www.familytreecircles.com/famine-orphan-girls-ships-to-australia-from-ireland-37811.html

To Kiap, Roxanna and Garden Boffin (and perhaps others): we are clearly researching the very same family and are no doubt related.  I would be very keen to share information and find out just where each of us fits into the same family tree.
Regards
Roy Pentland