Author Topic: Where is Hertford on the 1841 Census??  (Read 8378 times)

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Hertford??
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 October 06 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyndsey,

Apologies for the delay, but I am intrigued by the surname Aylott.  To help with enquiries, can you please give GGGrandma's christian, maiden and married names.

Regards   ...   Peter
Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LyndseyB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 02 October 06 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Thanks for replying.

My Gt Gt Granmother's maiden name was Jane Robinson (born 1821, died 1888, Meesden).

She had a daughter, baptised Martha Aylott, at Meesden Parish Church on 24 December 1844. There was no father named on the parish register at the church.

Jane married my Gt Gt. Grandfather James Freeman (born 1823, died 1886 Meesden) at Meesden Parish church on 25 April 1846.

Unfortunately the Freeman's are not on the 1841 census records, but on the 1851 census Martha has been marked as having the surname Robinson and is described as a niece.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Lyndsey

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 10:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyndsey,

Jane Robinson is recorded on the 1841 (HO107/443/13  F4  P2) as aged 20 living at Meesden with her father William (60) ag lab, brother Joseph (15) and daughter Emily (2). All born in county.  Adult ages in this census were rounded down to nearest 5.
I agree the 1851 records Jane's two children under the surname Robinson but in 1861 Martha is show a a Freeman.   Interestingly, there is a visitor to the Freeman family in 1861, Emily Clayden, age 22, unmarried, born Meesden and I am wondering whether she is Jane's daughter, introducing yet another surname to add to the confusion.
I have not found any evidence so far to explain the Aylott surname but will do a further check of the Meesden parish records and let you know the outcome.

Regards   ...   Peter

Offline LyndseyB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 03 October 06 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Yes, Emily Claydon is another daughter of Jane Robinson before her marraige to James. She was baptised at Meesden church on 12 May 1839. Again there is no father's named recorded.

Do you think there is a chunk missing from the 1841 census? I'm puzzled as to why there are no Freeman's in Meesden on it, as Gt Gt Grandfather James' father William (1767-1847), his siblings Sarah (1804-1885) and William (b.1820) are all said to have been born in Meesden.

Regards

Lyndsey

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 October 06 10:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyndsey,

The only Meesden parish records deposited with the Hertfordshire RO are baptisms and burials 1737-1810 and marriages 1813-1837.  In the circumstances I was unable to widen my search for the Freeman family.

So far as census returns are concerned,  the 1841 for Meesden parish included 181 persons whilst the 1851 was 185.  This does not suggest  any serious ommisions and I feel it is necessary to search other areas.

Regards   ...   Peter

Offline LyndseyB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 09 October 06 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Thank you for your reply, sorry about my delay in replying and thank you for looking. I think it's going to be a case of trawling through the surrounding areas for my missing Freeman's until I find them!

Regards

Lyndsey