Author Topic: Johns family..Wales & Bristol connection  (Read 3672 times)

Offline caroge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Johns family..Wales & Bristol connection
« on: Friday 21 April 06 18:35 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate a Johns family who had connections to Bristol.

John Johns (blacksmith or related occupation)... had a a son William who apparently had the same occupation.

John Johns would have been born around 1840 - 1855. I think he died young so his siblings may be the only way of obtaining the link.

Also, their seems to be a Romany link which also makes this tracing very elusive.

Offline caroge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Johns family..Wales & Bristol connection
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 April 06 18:37 BST (UK) »
I was also wondering if he (John Johns) could be found on the 1841/51 censuses. Thats if anyone has access to them...thank you

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 April 06 09:41 BST (UK) »
Do you have any more info as on the Glam. census for 1851 alone there are tons of John Johns but they are all born pembroke, Glam. and carmarthen way. Any idea where he was born to narrow it down a bit?
 ;)
To top it off  the John Johns i am coming accross are mostly working with metal, it must of been a common occupation for Johns! I found one who was a blacksmith/journeyman but he had been born in Pembroke and was a visitor to a house.
 ???
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline caroge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 January 08 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Actually there is a Welsh link somewhere as his son was left a welsh harp and had visited a relative in Cardiff or Swansea in 1925. Was the John Johns staying with someone in Bristol.?

Offline lcsnor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 February 08 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Well freeBMD does include 1 John Johns b.in Bristol and 2 born Clifton between 1837 to 1855, so he could have been born there. 

Looking through all the available censuses, however, there is no John Johns of the appropriate age living in the Bristol area who is a blacksmith (or similar).

Looking through the Welsh censuses there is no sign of a John Johns who gives pob as Bristol.  Without some other kind of clue it is going to be extremely challenging to figure out which he may be. 

Sorry
Desperately seeking:
Martha Ann Keily - Limerick/Woolwich mid 1800s
Mary Jane Hawkins - Bridgwater c.1835
George Gulson - Warmfield or Mansfield 1790s

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jmj9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 June 22 07:23 BST (UK) »
I have Johns ancestors in Bristol, descended from James Johns 1789-1844, father William,  but can’t see an immediate link with the one mentioned here. His first wife was Sarah Pearce. That particular person worked at Finzel’s sugar refinery, but later descendants mainly shoemakers.