Author Topic: Hoggan Family - Linlithgow  (Read 3119 times)

Offline Jo131078

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hoggan Family - Linlithgow
« on: Friday 21 April 06 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with some information about my great great great grandad John Hoggan.

I have very little information about him. I have been told by some family members that he married a widow from Blanyre who lost her husband in the pit fire of 1879. Her name was Helen Buchan, Helen had two children from her first marriage and later went to to have a further five with John Hoggan.

I have tried searching for their marrage certificate but have had not luck, I have also tried to locate John's parent which was also a dead end.

If any one could help I would be very greatfull.

Joanne

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Hoggan Family - Linlithgow
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 April 06 00:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne

There's a marriage entry in 1883 on Scotlands People for a John Hoggan and Ellen Buchan in Old Monkland (Western District) Lanarkshire which looks like could be your couple.

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RoseCanada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 June 06 07:07 BST (UK) »
About HOGGAN, John*
SP Birth: Hoggan, John 1856, July 9th, Newfield?ke Father: Walter Hoggan, coal minter Mother: Margaret Hoggan, MS Wallace Walter Hoggan, father 1856, July 26th?? **************** 1880 Marriage in the Burgh of Airdrie in the County of Lanark 1880 on the 14th day of September at ???? Airfrie after publication according to the Forms of the Pres. Church of Scotland John Hoggan, coal miner, bachelor, age 24 of Slamanan Drumclair? Father: Walter Hoggan, coal miner, deceased Mother: Margaret Hoggan, MS Wallace and Hellen Grant, cotton mill worker, spinister, age 25 of ??? Father: John Grant, coal miner, deceased Mother Elizabeh Grant MS Brown ******************** 1883 Marriages in the Western District of Old Monkland in the County of Lanark 1883 on the 14th day of September at the Manse Baillieston After Banns according to the ? of the Church of Scotland John Hoggan, coal miner, widower, 26 of ? Baillieston, OldMonkland Father: Walter Hoggan Mother: Margaret Hoggan MS Wallace and Ellen McFadyan (her x mark), bleacher, widow, age 24 of Crosshill, Baillieston, Old Monkland Father: John Buchan, coal miner Mother: Elizabeth Buchan MS Wilson (deceased) Signed: Hugh Bamsay, Minister of Baillieston Witnesses: William Lafferty, Margaret Ramsay ************* 1925, Deaths in the Parish Muiravonside in the County of Stirling John HOggan, coal miner, retired 1925, August 4th 8 h. 50 m. PM, Cuasewayend, Muiravonside age 69 Father: Walter Hoggan, coal miner, deceased Mother: Margaret Hoggan MS Wallace, deceased gastro enteritis, heart failure, as certified by James C. Hamilton John Hoggan, son, Comely Park, Polomot, present 1925, Aug. 5th, Muiravonside, Peter Lawson, registrar ***************** Muiravonside Cemetery: In memory of JOHN HOGGAN died 25th August 1925 aged 72 years Also his wife HELEN BUCHAN died 14th September 1941 aged 83years Also their son THOMAS BONNAR HOGGAN died 8th March aged 86 years
HOGGAN, LOGAN, SNEDDON, SNADDON, HUNTER, COOK

Offline macbon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 June 06 11:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne
John and Helen Hoggan (Buchan) are my great grandfather and grandmother. Thomas Bonar Hoggan (their son) was my grandad.
My mother has a copy of their marriage certificate.
My email address is * - if you email me we will get a copy to you and provide you with further info.

Cheers
Christine
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Bonar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 September 07 11:10 BST (UK) »
Headstone in Muiravonside Cemetary is in error. John Hoggan DID die on 4th aug 1925 and WAS aged 69 years.
He was my Grandfather. and Thomas Bonnar was my father. Claudia

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 September 07 21:19 BST (UK) »
This is the stone in Muiravonside  Cemetery