Author Topic: JOHN SLY born c 1812 in Hurstmere/Sheerston  (Read 3501 times)

Offline Geoff Budden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
JOHN SLY born c 1812 in Hurstmere/Sheerston
« on: Thursday 14 October 04 21:21 BST (UK) »
I am trying to ascertain the correct birthplace of John Sly born c 1812. On 2 census records he is shown as being born in Sheerston or Hurstmere, Gloucestershire. I can find no record of these places in Gloucestershire. Do they or did they exist ?
Any help would be appreciated which may help me find John and his family.
Regards,
Geoff.
BUDDEN- Verwood/ Horton areas of Dorset<br />ADAMS- Sturminster Newton area of Dorset<br />LINTERN- Shepton Mallet/ Ditcheat areas of Somerset<br />SLY- Warminster in Wiltshire<br />BAILEY- Beaulieu/ Fordingbridge areas of Hampshire

Offline sjsbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN SLY born c 1812 in Hurstmere/Sheerston
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 October 04 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The National Archives show no place in England or Wales on Census named Sheerston or Hurstmere.

Have you seen the actual image?  Has the place name been badly transcribed?  Could it be that the place wasn't local and the enumerator didn't know how to spell it?  Was your ancestor trying to hide from the future generations trying to trace their trees?

Sue

SCOTLAND: Scotland, Morrison, Bonnella, Third,
LINCOLNSHIRE: Bell, King, Emerson, Leesing, Canty, Cutting, Fox,
GLOUCESTERSHIRE: Antill, Onslow, Crook, Jenkins,
LANCASHIRE: Hall, Mayson, Dearden,
WILTSHIRE: Sloper, King, Willis, Stockwell,
ESSEX: Stone, Webb, Smith, Hawkins, Frye,
SOMERSET: Harrison, Jones,

Offline Geoff Budden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN SLY born c 1812 in Hurstmere/Sheerston
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 October 04 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
The information came from a fellow researcher who has seen the records. John is supposed to have links with Warminster in Wiltshire but no trace of him there. The only record I can find in 1812 is in Sherborne, Gloucestershire for a baptism on 19/4/1812 son of William & Ann.
Many thanks for your information.
Regards,
Geoff.

BUDDEN- Verwood/ Horton areas of Dorset<br />ADAMS- Sturminster Newton area of Dorset<br />LINTERN- Shepton Mallet/ Ditcheat areas of Somerset<br />SLY- Warminster in Wiltshire<br />BAILEY- Beaulieu/ Fordingbridge areas of Hampshire