Author Topic: Alexander Welsh in Wemyss 1813  (Read 4544 times)

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Alexander Welsh in Wemyss 1813
« on: Thursday 14 October 04 21:52 BST (UK) »
Has anyone identified as an ancestor Alexander Welsh, who married Christian or Christina Wemyss in 1813, he from Auchterderran Parish in Fife, and she from Wemyss Parish in Fife?  I know one descendant Thomas Welsh, born about 1818 at Cluny, Auchterderran, Fife, of these parents, from his death certificate.

There are no other records of Alexander and Christian. They may have died young, from one of the outbreaks of cholera in the area around that time, or they may have emigrated, or just moved to another part of Scotland.

The Mormon Index/LDS index has got this one into a bit of a muddle by attaching a different son Thomas Welsh to them (who died unmarried), and giving different parents to the Thomas Welsh whose death certificate identifies them as his parents. This Thomas Welsh, son of Alexander and Christian, married Mary Summers in 1846, and they have many descendants.

Alexander is believed to be the son born to Thomas Welsh and Elspeth Dickson in 1791 (they married 1771) from records of siblings.

It's really a case of, all known documentary routes exhausted, looking for fresh clues.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline Fifer

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Welsh in Wemyss 1813
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 October 04 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

Ihave a contact for you about your welsh he has your alexander welsh and christian.he has gave me permision to give you his email which i will send in a private message to you .here is the message he sent to me .When you read this send me a personal message if you would like his email address.

Hi Angela  I do have the son Thomas Welsh 1918 and his parents Alexander & Christian Welsh but it would appear that I got the information from
the IGI and I have attached Alexander to the wrong Parents,
I thought he was from Wemyss, but when I check the 1881 Census I find
Thomas is from Auchterderran. I do have an index for  death as 1889 -405 --3 age 71 Auchterderran. Mary Summers died 1904 Auchterderran 405--148 age 79
and there is nothing on the Fife death index CD for Alexander or Christian
you can give him my Email if you wish.

hope he can help you further with this

Angela :)
Barclay,baxter,Cook,Cowie,Dryburgh,Hughes,Morris,Murray,Simpson,Westwater from Fife Scotland.

Hatton,Roscoe,Smith,Ellison,Hardy,Harding,Holmes,Randles, Fishwick from Wirral Cheshire,

Barnett,Hempsall,Humphrey,Ward,Wrench  from Lincolnshire

Hartshorne,Wilson,Brass,Dodds,Hunter from Durham

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Welsh in Wemyss 1813
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 January 05 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Only just seen reply by Fifer (I'm not being told of new messages), and don't know how to send personal message (the interface here doesn't seem to run to much help in the immediacy of actual messages).  The tree from Thomas Welsh and Mary Summers is well explored (their gravestone and the graves of all their children included) but descendants of some subsequent branches not known, particularly of their two eldest Alexander and James. But if your contact has any information I would greatly appreciate it.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright