Author Topic: Edward Mewett Newhaven  (Read 2676 times)

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
Edward Mewett Newhaven
« on: Sunday 23 April 06 16:13 BST (UK) »
Looking for info on Edward Mewett, guessing b around 1770, a Sea Fencible at Newhaven 1800, then a warrant out for him Feb 1802 for" running away and  leaving his family" then described as Marine. Warrant issued in Newhaven
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Mewett Newhaven
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 06 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to the Sussex Board.   Can we assume that you have all the census records for his family?    There is an Edward and Charity Mewet with children in Denton in 1841.  He is a carpenter and they also appear in 1851 when his age is given as 57.   There is also a younger Edward with family in 1851 age 24 and William 25.  All Carpenters.
I am of course leaping to the conclusion that these are his descendants!
You have obviously been to the record office to find warrants etc.   Does he appear in the Sussex Militia list of 1803?   I only have a copy of the northern division but someone may have the southern one.   His baptism may well be in the local church though I see that a lot of the entries on familysearch are member submitted.   Have you tried to contact the person who put them on?
Many seafaring records are at Kew so it might be worth a visit there if that is possible.
Andrea

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 06 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi, Edward and Charity are too young, Possibly his father. The only records I have are the payments made to Sea Fencibles for burying the Brazen crew  1800 and the warrant Feb 1802. That he was a Fencible implies he was a fisherman or similar at  that time although the warrant states "marine" . I 'll keep trawling. Thanks P
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 April 06 11:17 BST (UK) »
I assumed that the Edward married to Charity was the son of your Edward - the family he "left".   It is an unusual name.
Andrea

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 April 06 19:26 BST (UK) »
Not that unusual around Newhaven/Eastbourne- a lot of them called Edward too.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 April 06 20:41 BST (UK) »
Only 13 entries in the 1841 census for Sussex (none in Eastbourne) and only 29 across the whole country makes it unusual in my book. Only two Edwards in Eastbourne area in 1851 and three in the Newhaven area. Perhaps you have found many more.   Not many on the IGI either.   I wish I was doing such a rare name.   I have Smith and Brown to contend with!
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 April 06 20:44 BST (UK) »
Have you seen that there is a will for Nicholas Mewett of Eastbourne 1844 on the A2A site?   Might be helpful.  You can download it for £3.50.
Andrea

Offline mnmilt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 03:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,
aI found the following on www.a2a.org.uk.  I think that this is Edward the younger.

Seaford Corporation Records

Catalogue Ref. SEA
CASES TRIED ELSEWHERE THAN SEAFORD

LEWES LENT ASSIZES, 1855

FILE - Brief for the prosecution, Regina (on the prosecution of Edward Mewett) v. Thomas Simmons for the theft of 60 lbs. of iron value 2s. 6d - ref.  SEA/359  - date: 20 Mar. 1855
         [from Scope and Content] Recites the wreck at Seaford of a French vessel, the André; the purchase by Edward Mewett, boat-builder and carpenter of Newhaven, of part of the wreck at auction; the purchase by William Woolgar of Seaford, blacksmith, of a piece of iron from Simmons. Endorsed: Not guilty

Regards

Mark
Milton - Brighton, Eastbourne
Foord - Westham, Ringmer
Sellens/Sellins/Sellings - Sedlescombe, Crowhurst
Cash - Tonbridge, Kent
Harding - Horsham
Bodle - Hailsham, Alfriston
Crowhurst - Hailsham, Westham
Roods/Roads/Rhodes - Hailsham, Westham
Sinnock - Hailsham
Silsby - Brighton
Thomas - Brighton
Tullett - Brighton
Verrall - Sussex

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 09:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mark, I found that yesterday along with references to the Willingdon( Eastbourne) family.  I am not looking from a family point of view but from trying to put some meat on the bones of documents we  have in Newhaven Museum from the wreck of the Brazen. I will get the other names (mostly infants) and post them though as these came from a survey of MI done in the 1960s and probably cleared by now, Pete