Author Topic: West Witton - St. Bartholomew's - COMPLETED  (Read 1848 times)

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
West Witton - St. Bartholomew's - COMPLETED
« on: Sunday 23 April 06 16:54 BST (UK) »
Does anyone ever visit St. Bartholomew's in West Witton and if so could they possibly check out the details of a particular headstone for me?

I visited West Witton about 2 years ago and took photographs of some family headstones.  One of the photographs is of a group of three headstones, at the time I only thought the middle one was of interest but I have since discovered that the one to the right also belongs to my family  :-[.  Although I can make out the names from my photograph I can not decipher the dates and ages at death.

The headstone is that of Richard Hawkswell buried 24 May 1811 and his wife Susanna buried 30 April 1801.  I got the burial dates from FFHS site but no age at death was given there.  The headstone is next to that of William and Elizabeth Jackson (Richard and Susanna were Elizabeth's parents but I did not know this when I took the photograph).

If anyone could help I would be very very grateful  ;)  I can provide a photograph of the headstone which should help to quickly identify it.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: West Witton - St. Bartholomew's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 April 06 17:19 BST (UK) »
Try putting this request on the Upper Dales family history group.   They are very active and I know that some live very close to West Witton.
http://www.bishopdale.demon.co.uk/fhs/
I go about twice a year but will not be there again until October.
There is a lot online too.
Andrea

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: West Witton - St. Bartholomew's
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 06 17:49 BST (UK) »
Andrea,

Thank you for the advice - I'll give it a go.

I'm gradually learning the lesson that groups of graves often belong to members of the same family.  I'll photograph them all from now on just in case!

Pinetree

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: West Witton - St. Bartholomew's - COMPLETED
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 08:34 BST (UK) »
Andrea,

You were right about this group I have already received a reply and someone has kindly offered to have a look for me today  ;)

Pinetree

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: West Witton - St. Bartholomew's - COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 08:43 BST (UK) »
Good.  I am glad about that.   They have an immense amount of knowledge about the area.
Andrea