Author Topic: 1891 censuswhere?  (Read 2737 times)

Offline Mars Barr

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1891 censuswhere?
« on: Monday 24 April 06 11:45 BST (UK) »
I would kike to search through the 1891 census for Ontario, but trying to find where this is, is a bit bewildering, I tried Google but so many different numbers were given, and non which I tried were straughtforward, can someone tell me the number to enter for just a straightforward search?

It seems so different to the census info that we have here (in England)
I`m trying to see if my gt aunt Effie Grant (born 1869 in Derby England) could possibly have been in Ontario in 1891, I cannot find her on the Scottish or English census here, she married in Scotland 1897, but there is a possibility she MAY have gone briefly to Canada when my grandmother was there.
On my grandmother`s record it was mentioned that Effie had been trying to obtain a post in Ontario as  a domestic servant, this was around 1890, so there is a slight possibility she may have gone to Ontario for a short
period of time, especially since she has disappeared  on the 1891 census here, its a shot in the dark, but may be a solution

If anyone could give me the correct link, I would be very grateful, thank you

Gartland (Canada)  Copeland (Derby & Leicester)  Barr (Greenock-Scotland)
Geoghan(Ireland)  Jarvis (Essex)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 censuswhere?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 06 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Mars,

There are some 1891 census on-line here...

http://www.rootsweb.com/~ongenpro/census/

I know that for the County I live in, Simcoe, the library has the whole 1891 census in books. 

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Mars Barr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 09:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,
Once again you come to my rescue, I did not want to bother you personally and that is why I put my request on  for anyone to answer, I`ve had so much help from you, I feel guilty and a bit greedy!
Anyway, this is just a matter of satisfying my curiousity, I had laid aside my research on Effie for a while, whilst we were dealing with Laura and Yokker, but thought whilst I`m waiting for more news I would return to Effie. I have most of her movements except for 1891 and I would love to know where she was then. From the comment on my granny`s report it appears that Effie had wanted to get to Canada, so its possible she did get there, but it would not have been for long I do`nt think, because granny said ffie had a flat waiting for her and a job for grandpa, so she had to have been back in Scotland for 1900.
Amyway, I`ll have a look at the link you have provided, and thanks once again for coming to my rescue as usual
Maud

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 April 06 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Maud,

The 1891 Canadian Census is not on-line in a systematic way like the 1881, 1901, and 1911.  Some counties or townships have done local transcription projects, or have contributed to the OGSPI (the link that Karen gave you).  Sometimes bits have been transcribed by individual researchers and posted online.  Otherwise it is still on microfilm.

So, either way, unless you know where in Ontario she might have been, it will probably be a bit tricky to find her.   :'(

If you have a specific location in mind let us know and we might be able to dig up some links for you...

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline Mars Barr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 April 06 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi MJP
Thank you for your information re the 1891 census.

I have tried the link given by Karen, and so far have not found anything, I am, going through each district to search, because I do`nt really know which district Effie may have been in.

However. if there is another source I would like to know so that I can try it.
All I know is that my grandmother was living at that particular time in Trenton, Ontario, this would have been just after she had married to my grandfather (Stephen Gagan--he had added another first name of John when he married, but he was registered as Stephen only, and he was actually born in Stafford England, not in Canada as he claimed on his mariage document)
My grandmother was still in contact with the Marchmont Home in Ontario, where she had been sent to in 1898, I have a report about her when she was in the home (received from Barnardos) and it was mentioned in that, that Effie had written to them, asking if she could get a job as a domestic servant, so I can only imagine that if she did, it could have been in the same area as my grandmother.

It is just a matter of solving where Effie was in 1891 since she does not appear in Scotland or England on the  census here, and I know she was back in Scotland for the 1901 census on which she appears, so it does puzzle me a bit, especially as she had asked about going to Canada, perhaps she had for a brief time.

Thank you for your interest, Maud.