Author Topic: Generation Gaps  (Read 2822 times)

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Generation Gaps
« on: Monday 24 April 06 17:13 BST (UK) »
No doubt you've noticed that the further you go back, the more the generations spread out.  What's the biggest gap you have?

One of my GGGGG Grandfathers was born in 1811 and another was born in about 1734, and they're both ancestors of my grandfather.  So that's a gap of around 77 years between GGG Grandparents.

My G Grandfather also had a grandmother and G grandmother the same age.

Andrew

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Generation Gaps
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 April 06 20:15 BST (UK) »
I suppose that's possible isn't it, with women able to have children from the ages of about 16, theoretically into their early 50s (if they're very unlucky!) and men of course able to go on fathering children into old age.  So it would actually have been possible for a young couple to start having children whilst still in their very early twenties, and if the wife is still having children, or even has more children after a long gap at the age of say 48, her eldest daughter could already be the mother of a ten year old.  It does still happen even today.
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Chasing-fireflies

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy is like Chasing fireflies....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 April 06 20:53 BST (UK) »
You are right about it still going on! My mother has children younger than my own with an age gap between myself and the youngest being 26 years!!! It hard trying to explain to people that my "baby" brother is actually a baby!!!!
 ;)
Previously - Badgirl
Thomas-Llangynwyd
Morgan-Garw / Sirhowy
Richards - Bettws
Philips - Rhondda
Pinn - London

Offline MrsLizzy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 21:17 BST (UK) »
I don't know! These old people just have no decorum, do they??  I remember congratulating myself when I got to 30, thinking I was now safe from motherhood!  then people started telling me horror stories that usually started with the words "I had my first when I was 38!"  or "I had my first (twins!!) when I was 43!"    :o :o
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 April 06 05:55 BST (UK) »
Well I had my first at 38 - he'll be my last too!!!   ;D   ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

My eldest nephew is 16 years older than my son. My family have had and still have large gaps and overlaps between generations. I'm pretty sure I wrote it all out in another post. It will be around here somewhere. :)

BD
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline Kezlyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 April 06 12:14 BST (UK) »
My 4 month old son has first cousins who are 22, 16, 9, 7, and 4. By the time I have my next one (and probably last!) the oldest will be over 25 and might even have kids of her own! It seems a large amount because the 3 fathers of these kids (including my DH) are 10 years apart in age, and already the gap is stretching (oldest bro had 22 year old at 20, my DH had his first (DS) at 32.

The gap isn't that extraordinary now, but I imagine the next generation will be stretched even further. If the 22 year old has a kid now (thereby giving her parents heart attacks! ;D) and my youngest (the one that doesn't exist yet!) has one at 35, well there's nearly 40 years difference in cousins. And if my imaginary 2nd baby is a boy, he could be fathering kids for a long time. Come to think of it, my 4 month old could conceivably give me a grandchild when he's 70 and I'm 102!  :o :o

Oh my God! Now I've just freaked myself out totally. :o :o :o :o :o

Going to go and have a lie down.

Kez :)

Offline MrsLizzy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 April 06 23:11 BST (UK) »
My 4 month old son has first cousins who are 22, 16, 9, 7, and 4. By the time I have my next one (and probably last!) the oldest will be over 25   :o :o

Oh my God! Now I've just freaked myself out totally. :o :o :o :o :o

Going to go and have a lie down.

your next one, Kez?  That was really quick work, love, given your latest is only 4 months old!   ;D

indiapaleale

« Reply #7 on: Saturday 29 April 06 00:04 BST (UK) »
I had my children at 17, 19 and 22. Yikes
My sister remained childless but was a fountain of knowledge as to the in and outs of child rearing.....especially in regards to my skills...if you know what I mean!
Well, lo and behold, she had her first child, unexpectedly, at 41years of age.
Now mine are grown, married and settled....and guess who has a teenager???
I smile.......am I cruel???

;D ;D ;D ;D

Wicked Indi

Offline Kezlyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 29 April 06 08:23 BST (UK) »
Oh God, Mrs Lizzy, no I'm not pregnant!!!! No No No No No!!!

Just meant I will have another one in a couple of years. Advantage of having a premature baby is that after giving birth to 3lb 15oz, it only took me about a week before I could say "Yeah, I could do that again!"  ;D ;D