Author Topic: Which wife? Stockhill or Calthorpe?  (Read 6835 times)

Offline Calthorpe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which wife? Stockhill or Calthorpe?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 03:51 BST (UK) »
Let's not call Ann illegitimate  :-*
Let's just kindly say Mary Ann was unlucky hooking up with a plonker  ;)

Okay....Bart is the step-father to Ann?
Is your ex-husband related to William Davy, and your current husband related to Bart?
I apologise for the blondeness in this matter.

Bart is my 4th Gt Uncle, his brother Christopher Calthorpe, being my 3rd Gt Grandfather; their parents William Calthorpe and Mary Kirk are my 4th Gt Grandparents.   :)

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Calthorpe
Good to get you on line!
My ex-husband was Clifford Davy, his father Stewart Byron, his father William, his father William b. 1818  married to Ann Stockhill, who was Mary Ann's suspect daughter!
Sorry if i confused you, but I dont have a current husband, thank goodness.I'm just going to get my relationship calendar, so will be back!!
Calthorpe ,Colyer, Davy, , Grant, Guest, Hannington, Harding, Hartley, Hughes, Macro ,Marchant,  McKindoe , Moffet ,Morgans Musgrave, , Mort, Nicholson, Patterson, Porter,Smith, Roddis, Schofield, Scholefield, Smith.

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 07:22 BST (UK) »
I think I let another lady have it, so will have to get a new one downloaded, but it really boils down to the fact that your 4th grandparents William Calthorpe and Mary Kirk are my childrens 3rd grandparents!
If you want to contact me personally, how do we go about it?
There's so much to add that I don't know where to begin - my son Simon who lives in England will be so chuffed to have some more rellies, even if it is a bit distanced.
I've got to cook tea now for my housemate and her son so will be back again later. (I have to go out tonight too)
Looking forward to hearing from you again - I am so happy about all this - isn't rootschat fantastic??!!
Pauline in Oz
Calthorpe ,Colyer, Davy, , Grant, Guest, Hannington, Harding, Hartley, Hughes, Macro ,Marchant,  McKindoe , Moffet ,Morgans Musgrave, , Mort, Nicholson, Patterson, Porter,Smith, Roddis, Schofield, Scholefield, Smith.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 08:04 BST (UK) »
Geoff has already given a possible baptismal date for Ann Davy nee Stockhill

"Ann STOCKHILL bap 9 April 1826 Scrivelsby, dau of Mary (IGI) - that should be her - matches birthplace on 1861 census".

The surname is actually spelt in the register 'Stockill'.

There is also a baptism for an older brother

GEORGE STOCKILL  
Christening:  29 APR 1821   Scrivelsby, Lincoln
Mother:  MARY STOCKILL  

and an older sister which may give some indication of a potential father

ELIZABETH STOCKILL  
Christening:  30 DEC 1818   Scrivelsby, Lincoln
Father:  THOS. WADDINGTON
Mother:  MARY STOCKILL  

Ann is inconsistent on censuses about her age and birthplace. On the 1881 census she is 52 and born Horncastle. On the 1891 census aged 65 she was born Mareham Le Fen.

The surname spelling Stockhill seems to be extremely rare. There were only 26 Stockhills on the 1851 census mostly from Yorkshire. The more common spelling was Stockill. There were 71 Stockills on the 1851 census almost all from Yorkshire. Nothing local to Lincolnshire.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 08:07 BST (UK) »
Let's just kindly say Mary Ann was unlucky hooking up with a plonker  ;)

As well as Ann, let us not forget ... Mary gave birth to a George STOCKILL in Scrivelsby in 1821, also an Elizabeth in 1818 (father named as Thomas WADDINGTON).

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, "To find one plonker may be thought of as unfortunate, to find two or three seems like carelessness".  ;D

EDIT: re the location ... I also wrote

Most IGI entries for the name STOCKHILL in Lincs seem to be at Wroot - 5 or 6 miles from Crowle.

In any case, this is a corner of Lincs close to Yorkshire.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 08:21 BST (UK) »
Without looking further into records held at Lincoln Record Office such as 'Bastardy orders' and the actual parish registers themselves which may give further details, it is impossible to speculate on Mary Stockhill. Either she or Thomas Waddington may have been previously married and unable to marry but lived together is a stable relationship. He may have only been the father of her first child or of all three ......

What is known is that Mary married in 1833 and stayed married until her husband's death in 1862.

Finding plonkers isn't hard. Once you've found one and given birth to an illegitimate child your future options narrow.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calthorpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 08:59 BST (UK) »
 ;D I didn't mean to be too hard on 'plonkers' ;D  There's probably one born everyday. {but I am sitting here chuckling to myself}.
Imagine! Bart a Rat Catcher.  His options seemed a little narrow too! LOL.

You have all definitely made my day!

Perils - As soon as I've worked out how to send you my email address into your mail box, I will do so.
Have to rush and make lashings of gravy to serve up with the King Of Roasts. It's nearly 8pm.

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 09:06 BST (UK) »
Re STOCKILLs at Wroot ...

My BIVRI2 disks have a John and Catherine STOCKHILL living there in the 1660s who had 6 kids baptised, and a STOKELL baptism in 1838.

Has it been decided who the Mary CALTHORPE (lived to be 100ish) was, given that Bart's mum died in the 1840s?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calthorpe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 11:28 BST (UK) »
Quick Question, and I do not want to hijack this thread, but can anyone advise where am I to go, to find the parents of William Calthorpe (Barts parents?).

I think the Mary (100) Calthorpe was Mary Ann Stockhill (sic) (sp. etc).  I wonder if she got a note from the Queen... 8)

Pauline in Oz: I've sent you an email with my contact details. 
Stone the crows.  You'll have to get Simon to go home to Australia to meet his rellies.  I'm your next door neighbour in NZ.