Author Topic: Which wife? Stockhill or Calthorpe?  (Read 6836 times)

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which wife? Stockhill or Calthorpe?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 09:00 BST (UK) »
1871 census RG10 3341 folio 65
22 Witham Green Boston  Lincolnshire   
William Davy 53  Thorpe, Lincolnshire, Head Married Butcher
Ann Davy 45  Rhevesby, Lincolnshire, Wife    Married
Ann Davy 20  Skirbeck, Lincolnshire,  Daughter  Dressmaker
Robert Davy 16  Skirbeck, Lincolnshire,  Son 
Fred Davyy 10  Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, Son 
Elizabeth Davyy 8  Skirbeck, Lincolnshire, Daughter 
Harriett Davy 6  Skirbeck, Lincolnshire,  Daughter 
Jane Davy 4  Skirbeck, Lincolnshire,  Daughter
Caroline Davyy 2 Boston, Lincolnshire, Daughter   
Mary Calthorpe 88  Wotton, Lincolnshire,  Visitor Widow

Regards

Valda 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 09:13 BST (UK) »
 Hi Valda,
Thank you so much for all that lovely information - it gave me five more siblings  on my Davy line!!
Also, I think it has proved once and for all that Ann was a Calthorpe not a Stockhill.
I really appreciate your generosity of time and effort,
Best wishes,
Pauline Davy
Calthorpe ,Colyer, Davy, , Grant, Guest, Hannington, Harding, Hartley, Hughes, Macro ,Marchant,  McKindoe , Moffet ,Morgans Musgrave, , Mort, Nicholson, Patterson, Porter,Smith, Roddis, Schofield, Scholefield, Smith.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 09:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry I don't think it does prove she wasn't a Stockhill. At this point the hypothesis is that Ann was the illegitimate daughter of Mary Stockhill who later married Bartholomew Calthorpe - it would of course be handy to find that marriage. Ann had a half sister Caroline Calthorpe from her mother's later marriage.
I think Mary her mother was enumerated twice on the 1851 census - once with her husband Bartholomew and once with her daughter Ann who had newly given birth.

1861 census RG9 2370 folio 72
Sharps Yard Mareham le Fen  Lincolnshire 
Bartholmew Canthorp 58  Mareham le Fen, Lincolnshire,  Head  Married Rat catcher
Mary Canthorp 69  Mareham le Fen, Lincolnshire,  Wife  Married
Ann Davy 10  Boston, Lincolnshire, Visitor 

Regards

Valda

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 09:44 BST (UK) »
Oh Valda - you burst my bubble!!
I'm in a lot of pain today and shouldn't be at the computer while my body and brain are a looonnngg long way away.
Tomorrow I'll have a good look and I'm sure it will all fall into place, but right now I'm going to finish a roast dinner for my housemates, and then bed!!
Thankyou very much, I'll be in touch.
Best wishes,
Pauline
Calthorpe ,Colyer, Davy, , Grant, Guest, Hannington, Harding, Hartley, Hughes, Macro ,Marchant,  McKindoe , Moffet ,Morgans Musgrave, , Mort, Nicholson, Patterson, Porter,Smith, Roddis, Schofield, Scholefield, Smith.

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 10:14 BST (UK) »
Remember that at the time officals had no way of checking that what people said at the time of their marriage was correct unless they knew the family - i.e. the couple were marrying in the local church.
If you were marrying at this time would you if you could state you were illegitimate or legitimate? To state you were legitimate all you needed to do was give a father's name with the same surname as your own. The first name could either be correct, if you knew it, or one borrowed from another close family member, or even plucked from the air.
The same applies to birth certificates. I have examples of births registered legitimately which I can prove were illegitimate. I even know someone whose birth was registered in the 1930s where this was the case. His parents lived together and they bluffed it out.
Just because information is written on official pieces of paper doesn't unfortunately make it any more factually accurate.

So far the information supplied by Calthorpe has proved to fit the known facts (perhaps Calthorpe can supply the missing Bartholomew Calthorpe marriage?)

Deaths Sep 1862
Calthorp  Bartholomew    Horncastle  7a 271

A slight exaggeration here on Mary's age (she was probably in her early 90s). Because of her believed advanced age her death was probably recorded in the local newspaper.

Deaths Jun 1878
Calthorp  Mary  100  Boston  7a 247

Regards

Valda

Offline Geoff E

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 10:58 BST (UK) »
Deaths Sep 1862
Calthorp  Bartholomew    Horncastle  7a 271

A slight exaggeration here on Mary's age (she was probably in her early 90s). Because of her believed advanced age her death was probably recorded in the local newspaper.

Deaths Jun 1878
Calthorp  Mary  100  Boston  7a 247

Burials
Bartholomew CALTHORPE 8 July 1862, Mareham le Fen (63)
*Mary CALTHORPE 18 April 1878 Boston (100)

* Note that Calthorpe said that Bart's mum died in 1846

This would have been
Mary CALTHORPE 16 July 1846 Mareham le Fen (74)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calthorpe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 00:49 BST (UK) »
According to my (very blonde records): Bart married Mary Ann Stockhill, Mareham Le Fen, Lincs, England on 9 July 1833.

Does anyone have an actualy birth date for Ann (Davy)?
PS:  I don't have an actual birth date for Caroline either, just the year 1835.

And on that very hungry note, I'm going to cook dead-oink-surprise tonight (Roast Pork with extra c.r.a.c.k.l.i.n.g) ;D

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 03:20 BST (UK) »
I am doing a "happy dance" here after finally getting time to sort out all my emails etc. and Calthorpe, we must be related!!
Re. your last post, you have Mary Ann Stockhill as probably going by the name of Ann as her mother-in-law, because they were both Mary, but there actually IS another Ann Stockhill, as far as we know, the illigitimate daughter of Mary Ann. This is where I got confused, so I've been helped so much by rootchat members, including yourself.
Ann, the daughter, married William DAVY in 1847, and by marriage, we are related in that William is my ex husbands grandfather, and Ann is Mary Ann Calthorpe's daughter! It gets a bit complicated, but William Davy jnr was married twice, the first time to Betsy Ann Mableson, whose sister married William Jnr's brother. Hope I've got all that right!!Actually there is an easier way to get the relationship. Bart Calthorpe is my husbands g.g.grandfather, but only by marriage and not by blood.
So where do you come in Calthorpe? My son, Simon, lives in England now, and is going to be delighted if this link is established - I only started tracing his father's line for him.
Well, I shall really look forward to hearing from you, so until then .....
Warm regards,
Pauline  (Davy)

So where do you come in Calthorpe?

Offline perilsofpauline1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 03:29 BST (UK) »
Whoops! Forgot to say that I don't have a proper birth date for either Caroline or Ann Davy, just 1835 and 1826 respectivelyThis needs seeing to!  I'm off to look straight away,
Cheers
Pauline