Author Topic: Advice required: How long to process application for Marriage Certificate QLD?  (Read 3615 times)

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
I just ordered (12 April) my first application for certificate of marriage in Queensland ... for a marriage in 1865 or 1866 ...

Could anyone please tell me how long it take approximately to process (I'm in Ireland).  Thank you.
Quinn - Tyrone, Ireland ; Greymouth/Waipori/Waimate South/Otago, New Zealand
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland
Donnelly Skreen, County Meath, Ireland
Matthews Tyrone and Monaghan, Ireland
McKenna Tyedavnet, Monaghan, Ireland
O'Neill - Dublin, Ireland

Offline flinders

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Advice required: How long to process application for Marriage Certificate QLD?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 08:02 BST (UK) »
Depends - did you order online or send a letter

Online - I would think you should have it by mid May at the latest

otherwise by end of May
Mornington peninsula History - Flinders Cricket and Football club - HMAS Cerberus History

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
Re: Advice required: How long to process application for Marriage Certificate QLD?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 08:56 BST (UK) »
Hi flinders

I faxed it to them .... oh dear ... that long eh ... suppose end of May for me then !!!  Thanks for reply. :)
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland

Offline Rumplestiltskin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 09:18 BST (UK) »
In Queensland we have the easter break weekend, 4 days Good friday the weekend and also the -Monday Public holiday.
Also the next weekend (this weeekend) break 22,23,24 Monday (usually declared a day off) ,and 25th (Anzac day Today).
I am in Queensland and also waiting for a certificate from West Australia. (normally talkes 3 weeks) but this time of year with holidays??? 
Maybe this may help to explain some of the delay.  ???
                                                                      Rumplestiltskin.

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rumplestiltskin ...

The family have waited over 100 years so I guess another month wont matter!!!   I'll just have to hold off on my anticipation of its arrival until the end of May !!! :'(

- Love to visit Western Australia.... I've only ever been to Sydney/Melbourne and that was really just stopovers..... Oh well, just have to keep doing the lottery!
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Karen

How long is a piece of string - as is said  - It was a sad day when the Qld BDM registry decided to take over issuing old certificates - until last October you could get pre 1890 certificates from the Qld archives

1. They were cheaper ($18)
2. They were instantly sent on receipt of payment - they didn't even wait for my cheque to clear. I posted a request Monday & received certificate Wednesday!
3. I sent an email query to the BDM registry & 2 WEEKS LATER received  snail mail correspondence that didn't answer the question

None of this will help you any - but I just wish all the Australian registries were like NSW and Victoria - interested in providing a service, rather than making money.

Trish

PS Not sure about the online ordering Flinders - where did you find this   ???   ???  - last time I dealt with the registry - they wouldn't even use email - let alone online ordering !!  Print out a form & post or fax it is about all they could handle.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KDQ

• RootsChat Member
  • Need to Focus!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 April 06 15:45 BST (UK) »
Gosh Trish and I could have ordered it last year (before October) - how annoying is that ..... There was this little distraction that I had (and still have!) of two toddlers not letting me 'concentrate' enough to order the cert!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm praying its the right certificate now ... I don't think I want to wait a long time like this each time !!!!!!!!!

Forgot to say also - I didn't see the online ordering facility either - I'd certainly like to know more about this. Thanks.
Galway Carlow, Ireland
Grace Ireland
McSorley Ireland

Offline ferndale

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 May 06 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,

I tried to RING Qld BDm's today four times and just got the message that they are unusually busy at this time.  My dad passed away in February, and it took about 6 weeks to get death cert., only to find it has my grandfathers wrong 2nd name on it.  Apparently  to get it changed and re-issued will cost another $30.00 odd dollars.  cheers ferndale
BOYCE/PEAR, CHAMBERLAIN/SPENCER, FULLELOVE, NOTTS/LEICS/DERBY AREA
MULLER, SCHMIDT KNOLL, MOHR, WAHRY, OTTO, SCHULZ, AHNER SCHIEFELBEIN, HURLSTONE, VANSTONE,EASTERBROOK, BRANDENBERG, KRIESCH,
AUST/GERMANY/PRUSSIA AREAS
STAPLETON, NSW,VIC,SA,QLD/UK
McAULIFFE,COUNTY CORK/AUST
ACHILLES, BRAUNSCHWING/BRUNSWICK/ IRELAND
FENNER,ELLIS, HALPIN, IRELAND

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 May 06 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Fern

Glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with them!!

good luck

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk