Author Topic: Bullivant family search  (Read 30789 times)

Offline ninachristal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bullivant family search
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 26 May 11 18:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking Kathy, I'll have to see what happened to Walter Andrews in order for Kitty to be able to re-marry - the search continues!!!!  ;D

Offline ninachristal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 26 May 11 19:31 BST (UK) »
Help! I can't find that Walter Andrews died inbetween Kitty Topham re-marrying, I found this on the National Archives:

The National Archives, Kew. 1931
Divorce Court File: 9861. Appellant: Frederick Henry Andrews. Respondent: Kitty Mildred Andrews. Co-respondent: Charles John Hoppe. Type: Husband's petition for divorce [HD].

That has to be my Kitty Topham as Frederick Henry Andrews was Walter Andrews father but why is the date 1931 - Kitty died in 1929??????????????????  CONFUSED  ???

Anybody's help would be soooooooooooooooooooooo appriciated

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 26 May 11 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

There are 2 Walter Andrews who died in the 1st World War that could ?? be your Walter.

Unit Hussars Rank Private No.2643  23/3//1918 Vol C.2 Page 114.
On C.W.G/C.Site it gives 20th Hussars    Panel 6 Cemetery/Memorial. Pozieres

Unit Middlesex Reg. Rank Private No.G/52437 27/9/1918.Vol.I.70 Page 175
On C.W.G.C Site it gives Grave Ref.V.E.16  Fins New British Cemetery,Sorel-Le-Grand.

Plus this one on F.M.Past. Death Sec.
Rotherham Yorks Reg.1922 Jul/Sept.Age at death 28.Vol9c Page 562.

Fingers crossed one of these could be yours.

Kathy

Offline ninachristal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 26 May 11 20:23 BST (UK) »
thanks Kathy, you're much better than me researching haven't quite got into the WW deaths :) how do I check to see which one is the correct one?

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 27 May 11 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If you put a request on the WW1 section of the Armed Forces site on R/Chat and give them the info I gave I am sure that an expert on there will be able to give you more info IF possible which will hopefully answer your problem :) :) :).

Kathy

Offline 0121mariec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 07 June 11 15:53 BST (UK) »
Intersted in all instances of Bullivant name and various spellings but especially those with Links to Torksey Lincolnshire, Wickersley Rotherham, Sheffield, Hartlepool, Middlesbrough, Leeds and Hull

Hi Just joined so you may know this aready... I have a Frederick William Copage marrying Mabel Bertha Bullivant in 1896 in Tanworth in Arden. They appear to have previously been married in Sept quarter 1893 in Kensington ( mabel Verena)!! Frederick became a school master in Leeds and Mabel seems to have survived until 1958. Any ideas about the marriage greatly received!

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 03 July 11 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Goldenbird,
The info I have is Thomas (1796-1860) married Mary Chappell Vigers(1798-1835) on 18 June 1822. I have 5 children who i think are theirs but the eldest i am questioning(born a year before marriage).
William Pelham (1858-1910) married Jessie Ritchie(1858?-1912)  March quarter 1881
Hope this helps
Jody

Capt Ritchie Pelham Bullivant died in WW1 http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1644590. His name suggests a link to this couple (his grandparents?).

It appears that he is commemorated on the village war memorial in Burghfield, Berks (http://westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk/memorial.php?link=WB185).  Have you any idea what his connection with the village might be?
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline hadrian14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 15 October 11 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just to let you know I am descended from the BULLEYMENTS of Lincolnshire,  this name has ofter been changed through different spellings eg missing out the y, or adding an i, but I did start to wonder if the BULLIVANT's were are part of this huge huge family. 

Do you have many Ambrose Bullivant/Bulleyments in your trees? This seems a popular name to pass down to sons within the family.

My George Bulleyment b.Melton Ross 1862 married Mary Ogden and lived and worked on the Sandbeck Estate nr Maltby/Rossington. abt 1900 .

And just for interest: there is a Bullivant Road and Ambrose Avenue in Hatfield, Doncaster (side by side) - always wondered if there was a connection??

Offline duckweed

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 15 October 11 08:51 BST (UK) »
There is a huge variation in the spellings but I am willing to bet that they all have the same root way back. As far as I can tell the name seems to be prevalent in the Flanders area and the French Spanish border.

The Flanders connection seems to be with the armourers. 2 early references to Bullivants I have found were for armour makers, one in Nottingham and one in Yorkshire. Though there is also a Bullivants Mill in Camden town that goes a long way back and some early farmers and millers in Norfolk. 

These early Bullivants Bollivents Buddivents whatever way you spell them came over much earlier than the Hugenots so although there may have been Hugenot Bullivants it doesn't seem the main reason for them being in Britain.

The root for the name seems to come from the French name for a village on a windy hilltop, and there are French people with the name de Bullivant which would suggest there is a place called Bullivant or similar.