Author Topic: Campbells from Moville  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Amy M

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Campbells from Moville
« on: Tuesday 25 April 06 23:59 BST (UK) »
I'm researching the following family. . .

Caldwell Campbell & Jane Douglas(s) married in 1859 in Moville.  I have a widowed Caldwell living on the 1901 census in Balleeghan, Lower Moville with his namesake son.  I believe the elder Caldwell died before the 1911 census.

Caldwell Sr. was the son of John Campbell & born in Donegal abt. 1826.  Jane was the daughter of James Douglas(s) & born abt. 1837 in Ireland (I assume Donegal).

I have found four of their children who immigrated to the United States:

• Andrew, b. 1864, married Matilda Campbell (don't believe related)
  • Anna, b. abt 1867, married John Keefe
  • Jane, b. 1868, married James Smith
  • Caldwell, b. 1878, married Annie Miller (or Millar), he may have also went by John

All immigrated in the 1880s, except Caldwell came in 1909.  All lived in Boston, Massachusetts, with Anna & Jane ending up in Charlestown, & Caldwell eventually settling out in Bolton, Mass.  Caldwell also lived in Glasgow before coming to the US (I don't know for how long).

I was curious to know if anyone is researching this family, or has information to add.  (I do already have most of the US census & naturalization papers).
CAMPBELL (Balleghan), DOUGLAS(S) (Carrowhugh) - Lower Moville, Co. Donegal
HUSBAND(S) (Sneem), SULLIVAN (Kenmare) - Kenmare, Co. Kerry
KEARNEY (Kilmurry/Castleisland), O'CONNOR (Shanaknock/Ballymacelligott) - Tralee, Co. Kerry
KEEFFE (Ballyhooly), HARRINGTON (Rathnadarrahy), DILLON - Castletownroche, Co. Cork
Note: My Irish ancestors ended up in Boston, Massachusetts area of U.S. between 1880 & 1905.