Author Topic: John Hope  (Read 3704 times)

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
John Hope
« on: Friday 15 October 04 22:46 BST (UK) »
Trying to find out what happened to the family of John Hope. He was born 24th July 1868 in the parish of Westerkirk, Dumfriesshire to James Hope and Agnes Beattie. When he was about 2 the family moved to Kirkpatrick Juxta Parish (Beattock), near Moffat, Dumfriesshire. Believed to have married Nancy and had children Agnes, Janet and Gertrude, and possibly also a son, Donald. The last record I have of him is in the 1881 census. If someone recognises this tree fragment I can provide ancestry back to late 18th century, the mystery is where he and his family moved to, as there is no subsequent record in the Beattock area. He might have moved to London. His elder brother Thomas died in Manchester aged 20 in 1884. I am descended from his sister, Janet.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright

Offline tracey hope

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: John Hope
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 November 04 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if John Hope fits in my family tree - the info I have is Thomas Hope born 1856 married Jane Beattie born 1851. At the time of marrage TH lived in Annan and JB lived at nouthill,kirkpatrick fleming.  Jane was the daughter of Robert Beattie born c1819.  Are you able to help?

Offline longshanks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Hope
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this information. The details are rather different. I seem to have solved what happened to John Hope. He moved to Sonning-on-Thames in Berkshire in 1919 as a gardner at the Manor House. He died there in 1935. One of his daughters, Agnes, lives in Canada, according to his death notice.

Interesting though that your information involved another Hope/Beattie marriage, although both surnames occur together in several Dumfriesshire localities.
Beattie,Edwards,Hope,Jarman,McLuckie, Meason, Murray, Summers, Welsh, Wilde, Wemyss, Wright