Author Topic: McKimmie's of Fordyce and Alness  (Read 6420 times)

Offline gizzysmum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McKimmie's of Fordyce and Alness
« on: Wednesday 26 April 06 23:52 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help to fill in the blanks for my McKimmie Family?  I have got back to William McKimmie and his wife Jane Munro(e), and am trying to trace their family, in particular James, born1855.I can't find a marriage or death record for him. Does anyone know of him?  The elder son, William, moved to Ross-shire and, thanks to another posting on this site,I discovered that he and his wife and at least two of their sons are buried in Alness. Any further particulars would  be most welcome.

Stevenson-Banffshire, Australia
McKimmie-Fordyce, Banffshire, Ross and Cromarty
Napier-Old Deer
Lawson-Aberdeen
Gauld-Glass, By Huntly
Benzies-Insch, Aberdeenshire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McKimmie's of Fordyce and Alness
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 April 06 07:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Gizzysmum

Welcome to Rootschat!  :)

Have you tried to trace James through the censuses?

I assume you have used www.scotlandspeople.gov/uk ?  There are lots of returns for A marriage for James MCKIMMIE (or variant spelling) so it would be important to narrow down the search by using the census and establishing which area to search.  Especially as it is a pay-per-view site.

You should check deaths too, in case James didn't survive.  If he did live to adulthood and then disappears, try a posting on the Emigrants board to see whether he left the UK and search the English censuses.

I hope this helps, but if you can think of anything else, please ask.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline gizzysmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 April 06 23:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your reply.  Yes, I do use Scotland's People and guess what? tonight I found my James - I had been assuming he had stayed put in Banffshire, but he had moved to Aberdeenshire.  I found one entry only in the1981 census, and finally his death in Aberdeen at the age of 49.  Another bonus was that he was lodging with his brother in law at the time of his death, whose wife was James' sister, Margaret.  So now I am away on another trail- with a whole lot of different surnames to check out. 

Thanks again for your help!

Mary
Napier-Old Deer
Lawson-Aberdeen
Gauld-Glass, By Huntly

Offline gizzysmum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 April 06 23:39 BST (UK) »
....ooops, obviously I meant 1881! :-[
Napier-Old Deer
Lawson-Aberdeen
Gauld-Glass, By Huntly

Offline joette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 June 06 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hope you got my Pm & it looks like we are from the same McKimmie line ie William McKimmie/Isobel Dallas/Dollas Bortriphinie 1776.
We have a long lived line but looks like yours was the exception as barring accidents/suicide/infectious disease  they have all lived until at least until their sixties & a mainly into their 70/80's.In fact I always check the oldest first in the Index & nine times out of ten it is ours!
Waddell-Perthshire,Dollar,Clydebank,Glasgow & USA.
Scott -Roxb,Midlothian.
McKimmies-Aberdeenshire,Banff,Morayshire,Niagara&NewJersey.Old Kilpatrick.
Lindley,Veitch-Canada.
Veitch-Peebles,Crawfordjohn,Midlothian.
Ross,Torrance,Brown,McDowall.
Greer/Simpson/Jenkins-Old Kilpatrick& Camelon Falkirk,Abbey/Neilston
Leitch-Abbey Parish.
Kerr/Carr.
Breakenridge/Liddell-Temple Midlothian.
Aitchison
Fraser/Barron/Coutts/Singer.
Waddell-USA after 1923.
McFarlanes-Midlothian/Australia.

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 July 06 21:50 BST (UK) »
If you need any info on Fordyce village let me know...
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 July 06 22:51 BST (UK) »
it looks like we are from the same McKimmie line ie William McKimmie/Isobel Dallas/Dollas Bortriphinie 1776

If your Isobel Dallas is the daughter of John Dallas and Marjory Dow/Dove in Tainreid, baptised in Botriphnie on 25 July 1750, then you are also related to me. I am descended from Isobel's sister Margaret, who married William Young.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline joette

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 10:29 BST (UK) »
Yes Isabel is my 7 times Great-Grandmother she married William McKimmie in Bortriphinie in 1776.
I guess we are cousins eight times removed or something.
I also have Waddells-mine originated in Scoonieburn Perth & then Dollar Clackmannan.Alexander Waddell was my mysterious GGGreat-Grandfather-I know he lived,married?& had children & he claims to have been born in Scoonie Perth-which I presume is Scoonieburn but cannot find Birth/parentage.
Waddell-Perthshire,Dollar,Clydebank,Glasgow & USA.
Scott -Roxb,Midlothian.
McKimmies-Aberdeenshire,Banff,Morayshire,Niagara&NewJersey.Old Kilpatrick.
Lindley,Veitch-Canada.
Veitch-Peebles,Crawfordjohn,Midlothian.
Ross,Torrance,Brown,McDowall.
Greer/Simpson/Jenkins-Old Kilpatrick& Camelon Falkirk,Abbey/Neilston
Leitch-Abbey Parish.
Kerr/Carr.
Breakenridge/Liddell-Temple Midlothian.
Aitchison
Fraser/Barron/Coutts/Singer.
Waddell-USA after 1923.
McFarlanes-Midlothian/Australia.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 11:01 BST (UK) »
Yes Isabel is my 7 times Great-Grandmother she married William McKimmie in Bortriphinie in 1776.
I guess we are cousins eight times removed or something.
Replying by personal message.

I also have Waddells-mine originated in Scoonieburn Perth & then Dollar Clackmannan.Alexander Waddell was my mysterious GGGreat-Grandfather-I know he lived,married?& had children & he claims to have been born in Scoonie Perth-which I presume is Scoonieburn but cannot find Birth/parentage.

My Waddells are all from Airdrie in the parish of New Monkland, so even if there is a connection it's going to be difficult to prove.

Scoonieburn is a very small place just south of the city of Perth and I think in the parish of Perth, so you would need to look for baptisms in Perth itself. Scoonie is a parish in Fife, and its largest settlement is the town of Leven. Then there is Scone (pronounced 'skoon', not 'skon' like the ones you eat, and not 'skoan' either), which is a separate parish just across the river from Perth.

I see that you have posted similarly on the british-genealogy forum, and queried the spelling of Aberthavon? This is possibly Aberuthven (though it is pronounced 'abrivven'), which is a village a mile or two north-east of Auchterarder.

HTH
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.