Author Topic: Hetherington  (Read 16222 times)

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sgt John William Hetherington 1866-1934
    • View Profile
Hetherington
« on: Thursday 27 April 06 10:53 BST (UK) »
Is anyone aware of a person group researching Hetherington as a surname? We seem to be a reserved lot and I rarely see the name being researched. People to talk to would be a great hep as I am stuck in Dublin with a Hetherington rellie (William born 1842 England, d 1902 Dublin, Cabinet Maker - Fth: William, 1st Wife Anne Tench 2nd Roseanna Finnigan)

I know there is more than me as I come from a big family and I once worked at a place where there were three Hetherington's in the same department at the same time (we weren't related as far as I knew)

Look forward to hearing from people :)

Canuc
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
James, Driscoll, Collins, Murphy (all end up in Ireland far too quickly)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Harrison, Higginson, Mitchell - Sussex
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline Felix53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Hetherington
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 18:42 BST (UK) »
I am also reseaching Hetheringtons - my father's family came from Whitehaven, and before that Carlisle I think.
Hetheringtons (Whitehaven, Fleetwood), Allens (Yaxley, Mendlesham, Braiseworth Suffolk), Fletchers (Tottington, Bury), Olives (Radcliffe)

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 20:32 BST (UK) »
Where did your Hetherings come from? I have Hetheringtons in my line in the early 1700s in Cumberland. Also I did some research for Hetherington descendents in the states, tracking their line from Brampton Cumberland early 1800s to Newcastle and eventually to the states. Most of the info is now easily accessible since all the census records are online. I found no Williams linked to my research, but as you may well know the Hetherington name is abundant across the northern counties of England.

Good luck in your search.

terry
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline Felix53

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 May 06 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Terry
I was a Hetherington and I know there are a lot of us! That's why it's so hard to find the right ones. My great grandfather Thomas (m to Elizabeth Lister) moved from Whitehaven to Fleetwood  in Lancashire around 1900. I think his father William was born in Carlisle, but lived in Whitehaven.
Hetheringtons (Whitehaven, Fleetwood), Allens (Yaxley, Mendlesham, Braiseworth Suffolk), Fletchers (Tottington, Bury), Olives (Radcliffe)

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 May 06 12:02 BST (UK) »
Have no idea where in England my Hetheringtons originate from.

This is my Grt Gradfather, born Rathfarnum, Dublin 1862. It is his father who I am trying to trace back to England, and then the fun begins I hope.
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 22:12 BST (UK) »
I started this post in 2006, I've moved on a bit since then.

Last year, after a search of the St Michan's parish registers in Dublin I found William's second marriage. This was one of the entries that just happens to give a detail of the groom's mother, just her Christian name but the name Ellen none the less.

Put that into a English Census search and a William Hetherington father William and mother Ellen comes out as an apprentice cabinet maker born and living in Salford. His parents are Irish born. I've not proved it, but the information I do have suggests it is probable.

Still no hoards of Hetheringtons wanting to talk and exchange info, although I note there is a Hetherington group on FaceBook.

Happy hunting
Canuc
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline Titta

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I'm a T. Hetherington.
I know that my husband's daddy was a William born and deceased in Dublin Ireland, he had 7 children which are all alive and well, i cannot disclose their names without their permission, sorry. I do not know if this Hetherington family is the same genealogy of yours, I'm writing just to let you know, there is a Hetherington  group on facebook. Bye for now. Regards T.H.

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Titta, hi,

Thanks for the message. If your Hetheringtons are my Hetheringtons and link back to William through Ancestry.com then they will be offered my tree my tree as a match (but they have to contact me through Ancestry and we'll take it from there). I certainly have a William, now dead who had  seven children (does Shay with a sister who is involved in housing stray dogs mean anything to you, or rather your husband they'll be his cousins). Your father in-law William is descended from William Snr's second family, I descend from William Snr's first family.

I'm in the FB Hetherington group, it doesn't do much which is sad. I sent a message to one member who I think is a relative, but had no reply.

Its funny you should pop up like this and talk to me ain general terms. A few years back I was  in one of the record centres (a modernish building) where they kept the census. I was on a film viewer working away and a young lad sat down beside me to use the next one. He was a novice at this game, as we all were once, I knew because he was using brute force to get the reel loaded and after I'd helped him he started chatting, Lord bless him. I told him what I was doing and my Crumlin Hetherington connections. He replied I know a Hetherington in Crumlin and gave his name. At that hour I didn't know of a relative by that name in Crumlin. Before the evening was out I did, I was due to meet Shay and his family. I didn't ask the lad for details, so foolish of me.

Good to hear from you.

Take care
Canuc
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline sh8283

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 August 11 17:42 BST (UK) »
I'm Shay and that's my great grandfather's headstone in Crumlin. Who are you ??