Author Topic: Hetherington  (Read 16221 times)

Offline sh8283

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hetherington
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 August 11 17:43 BST (UK) »
Is that Adrian ??

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sgt John William Hetherington 1866-1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 26 August 11 17:52 BST (UK) »
Is that Adrian ??

Got it in one  ;D

I still have to organise the trip to Illinois to get a copy of the marriage certificate that may open a line for us.
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
James, Driscoll, Collins, Murphy (all end up in Ireland far too quickly)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Harrison, Higginson, Mitchell - Sussex
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline Dr_Awesome

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 September 11 12:46 BST (UK) »
what can you tell me about sgt hetheringtons regiment? im a hetherington from ulster, sorry I cant assist in your search as my family have been in ulster since the plantations as far as I know. a wee town in Donegal called St Johnson. a few of us around there I believe.

All hetheringtons originate from north of carlisle as far as i'm aware, near the river Hether hence the name, around the village of Hethersgyll Ca 1300's. Norse before that I hear, but your probably aware of this. Good luck with it

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sgt John William Hetherington 1866-1934
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 September 11 15:17 BST (UK) »
John William Hetherington enlisted in Dublin joining the Royal Engineers as a carpenter. Had a full career in the R.E. rising to CSM and was a Drill Sgt for the reserves in Gateshead (1st Durham R.E. (Vols) and then Smethwick (1st North Midland Division R.E.). He retired about 1912 to be a depot clerk at St Mary's Barracks, Chatham but then reinlisted in 1914 finally retiring as W.O.1 with the rank of RSM in the 20's.

As far as I know we stay in or around Dublin or Manchester.
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
James, Driscoll, Collins, Murphy (all end up in Ireland far too quickly)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Harrison, Higginson, Mitchell - Sussex
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,