Author Topic: Hello and Help  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Sarahk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello and Help
« on: Thursday 27 April 06 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm new to this board, so Hello and thank you in advance for any help. 

I am trying to trace my family tree and am stuck at my grandfather on the Kennedy side.  His name was Michael Joseph Patrick Kennedy and he was born in Tralee on 20.3.1913, he had about 11 brothers or sisters as far as I know.  He had a sister Molly who married a Michall Moran (excuse my spelling 1st name pronounced meehall) all I know is Michall Moran had something to do with  DeValera, they had 2 children Lillian and Ted, Ted became the priest on Inishmore Aaron Isles (again excuse my spelling).  His other siblings were Breeda, Paddy, possibly a Lilian and a Charlie. One brother Thomas became a headmaster in Dublin and had a son called Thomas and a daughter Marion, and another Brian lived in Rugby.  His family had something to do with a wood yard in Tralee, and I think his mother was called Mary.

This is all the information I can get from family so far, as it seems that he fell out with his family, so my father, his son, had little contact with them.

So if anyone had any idea how I start, where to start, who to contact etc, I would be grateful.

Thanks

Sarah

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Hello and Help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 April 06 16:33 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Sarah,

I am just back from Dublin..sitting in the Internet Cafe at Europa Mall
in Belfast at moment. I will make an effort to get a reply to you later.

All the Best, Chris

Offline Sarahk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 April 06 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Chris.

Sarah

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 April 06 17:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Chris.

Sarah

Hiya Sarah,

I am still in Belfast. I feel that a message to Tralee Library would be a good starting point. The PP (Parish Priest) at Kilronan, Inishmore, Co.Galway might be able to give you some details about Ted. OK..now Thomas..he could be difficult to find. Do you know if he was a primary school headmaster or a secondary school headmaster ??? If you could place a date on the period when he was teaching a street directory might list his name.

Sarah, I am not sure in which county or shire in England Rugby is situated.
Post a message on that board. Now that takes care of three of about eleven children.
Did any of them stay in Co. Kerry ??? Michall Moran...something to do with Dev ??? Was Michall a politician ??? I will have a look into that and get back to you asap.

I wonder if the Michael Moran, or his son also named Michael, mentioned in this article  was the guy who married Molly  ... ?  No ... a second look indicates that's from a novel by John McGahern. How are we going ? Where are you located Sarah ? I will head towards the Central Library, Royal Avenue, Belfast. There may be some useful books there. The Library is open until eight tonight.

All the Best,

Chris

Offline Sarahk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 April 06 19:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris not so sure if The Michael Moran in the book is the same one, unless ted (the priest)is a michael too, I did try contacting the Diocese of shrewsbury to look for him, but they had no record, but did say his 1st name may not have been edward or ted. I know he conducted my grandfathers funeral in 1990, and he had moved to the mainland by then.  As far as I was aware Michall was not a politician, but was something to do with the Irish Liberation Army?
Oh and I'm in merseyside, but born in coventry, where Michael Kennedy moved to in 1943 during the war to help with the re building.

Sarah

Modified to say, just checked with my dad, Molly died around 1980 so not the same Michael Moran, unless she was his 2nd wife.

Offline Christopher

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 May 07 02:33 BST (UK) »
Hiya Sarah,

I've been looking at pages of The Western Reserve Historical Society Manuscript Collections Register: John M. Gallagher Papers which has several references to Lieutenant Michael Moran, who died for Irish freedom. The article says that researchers will find the Gallagher collection useful.

Estimates, Wm. Coffey and Son, Westport, County Mayo, Ireland, regarding a headstone for Lt. Michael Moran, March 1927, December, 1927. Folder19:

Image, gravestone of Lt. Michael Moran, Dooagh, Achill, County Mayo, R.I.P. 1922. 

financial report of memorial fund for Lt. Michael Moran, 1927.

There was also a Michael Moran who held the post of Minister for Gaeltacht (from 26.6.57 - 15.9.1961) in the Irish Government.

Chris