Author Topic: Looking for Living Descendents - Fisher, Southend-on-Sea  (Read 1705 times)

Offline FishMan

• RootsChat Member
  • Holiday Smiles
    • View Profile
Looking for Living Descendents - Fisher, Southend-on-Sea
« on: Thursday 27 April 06 16:36 BST (UK) »
My great grandmother Phoebe Annie FISHER (nee McCALLUM) died in Southend-on-Sea early in 1941 aged 83. She and husband William Henry FISHER (timber salesman) had moved to Essex from Liverpool in the mid-1890's and he was killed in 1898 when hit by a tram/train in Rochford, Essex. They had the following children (first 5 born in Great Crosby, Lancashire);

Alfred Cecil FISHER b. 1885 - emigrated to Western Australia, married Elizabeth ? and died in the early 1970's.
William Arthur FISHER b. 1886 - emigrated to Queensland, Australia, married Anna Kristina KRUSE and died on Anzac Day 1958.
Frederick Victor FISHER b. 1887 - married Sarah Jane ? and was killed in the Somme WW1 2nd April 1918.
Gladys Evelyn FISHER b. 1888 - married into the PAGE family.
Frances Elsie FISHER b. 1890 - died 1891 aged 1.
Ethel FISHER b. 1894/5 in Bowes Park, Middlesex.
Horace FISHER b. 1896/7 in Leyton, Essex.

At her son Vic's death in 1918, Phoebe Annie was living at 6 Bournemouth Park Road, Southend-on-Sea.

I am interested in finding any living descendants as I don't believe there has been any contact between the British & Australian branches of the family since the mid-1960's and I have much FISHER and McCALLUM info to share.
FISHER (Cheshire, Lancashire, Essex, Australia)
BURNS (Lancashire)
SYMES & SCOTT (Devon, Lancashire)
MCCALLUM (Midlothian, Malta, Kent & Dublin)
GARDINER (Midlothian, Ireland, Malta)
KRUSE (Denmark, Australia)
MCINNES (Argyll, Cheshire, London, Australia)
MCINTOSH (Avoch, Nairn, Australia)
COULL (Banffshire)

LEWIS (Herefordshire, Australia)
COLES (Oxfordshire, Australia)
STUFFINS (Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire)
JASPER & JUKES (Worcestershire)
NAPIER (Ireland, Australia)

Offline MiddleEnglander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Living Descendents - Fisher, Southend-on-Sea
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 April 06 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hi FishMan .....

I see that little Horace has an entry in the 1901 census and is shown as living in Prittlewell, Essex.  Have you tried downloading from the 1901 online census ? It's at:

http://213.161.80.228/

.... and costs a couple of pounds/dollars for a few full downloads.  Let me know if you have any problems with this URL.

If you accessed the full page for Horace you may get some clues from where he's living who with, their relationship to him and what they do for a living.  Ditto for the other family members.

Best of Luck

MiddleEnglander
Fewell, MacDougall, Stevens, Rainbird

Offline FishMan

• RootsChat Member
  • Holiday Smiles
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 April 06 02:48 BST (UK) »
MiddleEnglander,

Thanks for the tip - I have all the census records (1841-1901) for the family. As you say, in 1901 Phoebe Annie and family are boarding with the WATTS family at 33 Hartingdon Road, Prittlewell, Essex. They all list "boarder" as the relationship to head of the household James WATTS.

As her husband's timber sales business was supposedly quite lucrative, it makes sense that 3 years after his death she is "living on her own means" and supporting 7 children. Only Cec (Alfred Cecil), boatman and Arthur (William Arthur), printer's apprentice - were of working age, but these jobs have nothing to do with their future careers.

My grandfather William Arthur recalled to family that life changed dramatically with the death of his father, the elder boys were pulled out of "private school" and because of their age had to find work to help support the large family.

Thanks,

FishMan
FISHER (Cheshire, Lancashire, Essex, Australia)
BURNS (Lancashire)
SYMES & SCOTT (Devon, Lancashire)
MCCALLUM (Midlothian, Malta, Kent & Dublin)
GARDINER (Midlothian, Ireland, Malta)
KRUSE (Denmark, Australia)
MCINNES (Argyll, Cheshire, London, Australia)
MCINTOSH (Avoch, Nairn, Australia)
COULL (Banffshire)

LEWIS (Herefordshire, Australia)
COLES (Oxfordshire, Australia)
STUFFINS (Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire)
JASPER & JUKES (Worcestershire)
NAPIER (Ireland, Australia)

Offline cazpro77

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 September 06 14:05 BST (UK) »
hi fishman
i currently live in the borough on southend on sea and have access to the phone book
if you would like to give me your email addy i can search the local phone books and pass on any details then maybe you can either write or phone these people to see if they 'belong' to your family?
if you would like me to do this please email me on Moderator comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses.  Please use the PM system to contact individuals

caz

ps please include all the names you would like me to look for in the essex area/southend area
Roberts, Prosser