Author Topic: Marriage reference found - now what?  (Read 1872 times)

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Marriage reference found - now what?
« on: Thursday 27 April 06 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am a total newbie when it comes to Irish records, so I'm looking for some advice on this one. 

I have been looking for the parents of one William Patterson for some time (I had previously posted about them back in early 2005).  I have finally found a document that gives the mother's maiden name!  Yay!  So, now I'm looking for a Thomas Patterson and Mary Hunter, who had a son William c. 1861.  I think they were Church of Ireland.  Family story says they were from Drumquin, Tyrone, but I have no proof of this.  The documents only tell me they were from Ireland. 

So here's the thing,  IGI has the following marriage:

Thomas Patterson
Mary Hunter
13 Nov 1848
Ardstraw, Tyrone

Ardstraw is adjacent to Longfield West, where Drumquin is.  The date is a bit far from 1861 but plausible if they had a lot of kids. 

So....how likely is it that this is them?  The IGI record says it is from Irish GRO indexes.  Should I order the certificate?  But that won't help me link them to William...

My only other lead that I have found a Thomas Patterson in Kirlish townland, next to Drumquin, in a Griffith's index.  But I haven't yet figured out what the complete record would tell me or how I would find out what the whole record says...

Any advice gratefully received. 

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)