Author Topic: Do these Uniforms confirm their identities?  (Read 4392 times)

Offline lindowman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Do these Uniforms confirm their identities?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 January 24 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi FishMan,
I stumbled upon this thread entirely by accident whilst googling to find where in Woolwich the Scots Church was located. I've no idea how old your post is (no year given).
I think it very likely the photo purporting to be of James Lumbar McCallum (JLM) is indeed him unless it was you who sent the image (attached) to Gordon Ruming probably around 20 years ago.
Gordon has since died and couldn't recall its source when we last discussed the topic. My picture is obviously from the same original source as yours.
I can give you my understanding of the background to my copy of the photograph if that helps.
Gordon had a printout of a McCallum family tree on Loughborough University headed notepaper. I'm guessing you sent him this? Sadly this has been lost but I do have a transcript of it.
I too am a JLM descendent but via the Fraser line.
Regards,
LindowMan

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 January 24 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi LindowMan and welcome to the forum.
Just for your information the earlier part of this thread is nearly 18 years old, and Fishman hasn't be active here since 2007 so don't hold your breath waiting for a reply! On the plus side, his profile says he's only 54 so hopefully he's still doing his family history and will get a notification via email of your posting.

Offline FishMan

• RootsChat Member
  • Holiday Smiles
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi LindowMan,
Great to hear from you. I had been in touch with Robert & Joan Moss in the early 2000's. Joan was Gordon's cousin and they sent me a copy of the Fraser Family History 1783-2003 in 2007 and I shared my information with them. That contained the same photo of JLM although cropped (suggesting they came from different prints). William Harold Fraser married Matilda Evelyn McCallum who was the sister of my great-grandmother Phoebe Annie McCallum. I don't know anything about the doc you have on Loughborough University stationery. Shoot me a private message and we'll take it from there.
Best wishes
FishMan (yes now 54, but longing to still be 38)
FISHER (Cheshire, Lancashire, Essex, Australia)
BURNS (Lancashire)
SYMES & SCOTT (Devon, Lancashire)
MCCALLUM (Midlothian, Malta, Kent & Dublin)
GARDINER (Midlothian, Ireland, Malta)
KRUSE (Denmark, Australia)
MCINNES (Argyll, Cheshire, London, Australia)
MCINTOSH (Avoch, Nairn, Australia)
COULL (Banffshire)

LEWIS (Herefordshire, Australia)
COLES (Oxfordshire, Australia)
STUFFINS (Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire)
JASPER & JUKES (Worcestershire)
NAPIER (Ireland, Australia)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 10:36 GMT (UK) »

Shoot me a private message and we'll take it from there.

Lindowman will need to make at least one more post before being able to use the PM facility.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline lindowman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi FishMan and thank you so much for your speedy reply,
Apparently I'm not yet allowed to send PMs but I'm guessing you can send me one to which I could reply and would be extremely welcomed.
Margaret, my mother, was Gordon Ruming's only sibling and Joan Moss's cousin. Margaret sadly died in 2010 and passed on to me all the family photo albums, artifacts etc and attempted to identify all those featured.
Before Gordon sadly died in 2020 he encouraged me to copy Bob Moss's 'Fraser and Moss Family Book' which I'm guessing you are referring to. He also passed on to me the enthusiasm to understand my roots and I'm now in the process of creating my own web based 'FamilyBook' inspired by Bob's.
Gordon passed on many other titbits of family history which I have attempted to include in my version.
Happy to share and hear your discoveries of the last 18 years.
All the best,
LindowMan

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 February 24 03:49 GMT (UK) »
James Lumber born 7 June 1823 Woolwich Barracks, Kent served with the Royal Artillery in Malta in the 1850's and after returning to the UK had postings in West Greenock and Ardersier in Scotland before reaching the rank of Major, Coastal Brigade of Artillery 7 June 1878.

Is anyone able to confirm whether the pictured men's uniforms are consistent with their supposed ranks and service histories?

Although this was posted in 2006, I don't believe anyone answer the query about the uniforms?

Addressing the second photo:
The answer critically depends on when James retired - you don't say -  and when the photo was taken. There is clearly a rank badge of a crown on his uniform collar  What that means depends on the date.

From 1855 to 1880 the rank badge for a major was a star, with two rows of lace, while that for a lt. colonel was a crown. A lieutenant had a star, with one row of lace.
From April 1880 the crown became the rank badge of a major, while a lt. colonel  became a crown plus star.

So, if taken before April 1880, the photo is of a lt. colonel, or lieutenant, depending on number of rows of lace (not clear). If taken after April, 1880, then shows James as a Major - most likely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Army_officer_rank_insignia
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 February 24 05:31 GMT (UK) »
The photos attached are supposedly my great grandfather William Henry FISHER and his father-in-law James Lumber McCALLUM.

William Henry born 17 July 1859 achieved the rank of Lieutenant in The Kings (Liverpool Regiment) 23 May 1883. I am wholly unfamiliar with terms military - there is also reference to 1st Brigade / Batallion at 65 St Anne Street Liverpool. What might this mean? I don't believe he was a full-time soldier.

Is anyone able to confirm whether the pictured men's uniforms are consistent with their supposed ranks and service histories?

Addressing the first photo:
If this is an officer affiliated with the King's Liverpool regiment then you are correct that he was not a full-time soldier. The officer shown -  he is an officer -  is not wearing the uniform of a regular soldier of that regiment. Instead, it appears to be the uniform of one of the "Rifle Volunteer Corps"  battalions associated with the regiment, see details in following link, under "Rifle Volunteers"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King%27s_Regiment_(Liverpool)
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area