Author Topic: TURNBULL family, Morham Parish  (Read 3398 times)

Offline sammiboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TURNBULL family, Morham Parish
« on: Saturday 29 April 06 09:07 BST (UK) »
If you can't find the six children of Robert TURNBULL & Marion REID born between 1819 & 1831 in the parish of Morham I may have the answer.
I transcribe registers for the FreeReg site. Today when doing Morham parish I found that these children were  not entered in the Parish register till 1845,
They were Anne Ramsay Turnbull, 29/2/1819; Helen Elphinstone Turnbull, 10/5/1821; Robert Turnbull, 16/6/1824; Jane Turnbull, 10/6/1825; Agnes Turnbull, 19/12/1828; and John Turnbull, 15/2/1831. Date shown are probably birth dates.
It certainly shows you may have to look well past any birth date in a register.                         Sammiboy 

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: TURNBULL family, Morham Parish
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 April 06 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Sammiboy

Thanks for the warning.
I thought mine was a one-off where my G-G-Uncle was registered late but added to a page 10 years too early. Thirty years later he had to have an entry in the Register of Corrected Entries to clear up the confusion.

He was probably trying to claim an inheritance too I would imagine since civil Court Cases cost money.  ;)

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline sammiboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TURNBULL family, Morham Parish
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 April 06 01:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Russell
This is the most discrepancy I have come across, but with this parish it does seem to be the norm. To me it looks as though whoever kept the Register records just opened up a page anywhere and did the recording, then when they eventually got to that page put the year date on it. I note on the page taht there are entries for 1846/47 jumbled amongst the entries for legitimate 1845 registration. I usually transcribe census for FreeCen, but got this register while waiting to switch from East Lothian census to Lancashire ones. I found the registers were very hard to transcribe & probably wont do any more.
Cheers.   Sammiboy