Author Topic: Military School - Ilkeston/Basford  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Kasby

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Military School - Ilkeston/Basford
« on: Sunday 30 April 06 03:39 BST (UK) »
My grandfather started military school at age 6 in 1919 - 20 when it was customary to start military school at 8, but he was admitted as youngest of 13 and brothers already there, after father was KIA in WW1.  Can any one help with a list of Military Schools most likely in the Notts/Derby area.  He was born in Ilkeston.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Military School - Ilkeston/Basford
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 May 06 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Ilkeston is in Derbyshire. Have you a reason to think he went to school in Notts? If so any idea where? Basford registration district included Notts and Derbys but if he was born in Ilkeston and lived in Ilkeston it is more likely it was a Derbys school.

I wonder if it was somewhere like Trent College. 531 Old Tridents served in WW1 and 94 were KIA.

Archive information can be requested via

http://www.trentassociation.net/history-archive.htm

it is worth asking. I don't know if you are local but nowadays it is a select boarding/day school so I assume your family had money. Another school that springs to mind is Nottingham Boys High School. Again you would need money. I don't really know what you meant by military school but if you meant schools with Cadet associations then these are the ones I would think of.

For the archivist for Nottm Boys High School

mailto:debgrooby@notthigh.rmplc.co.uk

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kasby

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 May 06 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane, My grandfather had always said he was from Nottingham, but his birth certificate has Basford registration district and the parent's address as Brook St, Ilkeston, Derbyshire.  This was a surprise to my mum. Part of the family was still living in Nottinghamshire, (Mansfield) in the 1950's.  I'm not a Notts local, now living in Sydney, Australia.  Thanks for the links.  The family did not have money and the reason the sons were put into the "school" was because the widowed mother of 13 in 1918 could not look after her family.  I'm now wondering if it was more of a boys home than military school as such.  Was wondering about the Gordon Boys Home and if there is an equivalent in Illkeston or if  the family moved.  This is a bit of a needle in a haystack but reached a road block as I can't find the family in the 1901 census, yet I know they are there!!

Offline Malmo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 May 06 01:19 BST (UK) »
Hello
It seems unlikely to me that lads would attend military school from the age of six at anytime in our history. However, there were military scools that enlisted post fifteen year olds up untill sometime into the nineteen seventies. It may be that they took on boys younger than this at the turn of the century, but I doubt it. As far as I know, the schools mentioned are all closed now, but I could be wrong.
I think it might help to direct your enquiry to the ministry of defence themselves at, www.mod.uk/defenceinternet/home.
If you go to this site you will find a "contact us" option. I'm sure they will be able to help you.
Best wishes
Fife, Dundee

Offline Kasby

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 May 06 01:24 BST (UK) »
The unknown "School" in question normally admitted students at age 8, my grandfather was taken in early because his mother couldn't look after 13 kids, his father was kia in WW1 and his older brothers were already there.

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 May 06 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

I know there was a Gordon Boys Home in Nottm as I did a query for it not long ago. Somewhere around Peel St if I remember correctly. The trouble is although I live near the border of Notts/Derbys Nottm Archives are easy whereas Derbys are miles away in Matlock, (I work full time).

Although the 2 schools I mention are 'exclusive' now they may not have been in 1900s.

I assume you have used the Derbys board as well. Come back to me if I can help in Nottm.

Jane

Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk