Author Topic: Lady McNaughton ship to Australia  (Read 14024 times)

Offline princess1

• RootsChat Member
  • George William Ranson Ord in Tobruk WW2
    • View Profile
Lady McNaughton ship to Australia
« on: Sunday 30 April 06 11:23 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am desperate for any information on a ship named the Lady McNaughton sailed from Corke with my ancestors aboard circa 1833-35 to Australia. 

I realise the records for this period were lost in Ireland due to a fire, but I thought someone may have some information.  I have checked all the sites in Australia and it shows the Lady McNaughton docking in Australia in 1835 as a convict ship and again in 1837 as a converted passenger ship, and my ancestors George Barker and Mary Ann O'Connell are not on the list.  I have been to the wall in Sydney and they are not listed.    The death certificates of these people show they arrived circa 1833-35 and family research shows them on the Lady McNaughton.

I am at the end of my scope where to look next.

I hope someone can help!!!!
With kind regards
Princess1
Australia
ORDS, Robson, Yeaman, Ranson,-  Durham
Fisher, Armstrong, Watson - Northumberland

Watson,Downie, Findlay - Boyndie, Whitehills /Banff

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Lady McNaughton ship to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 April 06 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Princess  :)

Can you tell us what the family research is that shows them on board this ship?  Might  help us to narrow down sources yet to look at...

Cheers
Prue

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 April 06 12:05 BST (UK) »
P.S. the Lady M'Naghton [sic - as shown on this page:  http://theshipslist.com/ships/australia/australia1837.htm] arrived in 1837 with assisted immigrants - sounds like you've already seen the passenger list for this arrival though... :-\

I also found reference to this voyage of the Lady M on a site about the old North Head Quarantine station...apparently the ship arrived with typhus on board:

As in the case of the typhus ridden Lady McNaughton which arrived in Sydney Harbor in 1837 after loosing fifty four passengers en route, however the Quarantine Station proved no sanctuary. Thirteen more died after arrival in what were then described as "truly appalling conditions with a sense of misery, wretchedness and disease present everywhere." (http://www.castleofspirits.com/quarantine.html)

Maybe there is a record of who from the ship was quarantined there?  Long shot...

Offline Oz Peggy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 August 06 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi have just joined the group and saw your listing.Maybe you have solved your problem already.The Lady McNaughton also Lady McNaghten left Cork on 5 Nov 1836 and arr.in Sydney 26 Feb 1837.The ship was quarantined until 10 May 1837 at North Head Quarantine Station.Approx 56 children died from measles and a further 50 or so passengers are reported to have died from typhus.The Mitchell Library in Sydney has full list of passengers and record of the enquiry that was held also a letter by 10 Irish passengers re maltreatment on board.My ancestor Bridget HARCOURT was an emigrant on this ship.
BUTTEVANT Co CORK-Corkland,Brosnahan,Bresnahan,Harcourt.

Offline Oz Peggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 August 06 09:45 BST (UK) »
Hi have just joined the group and saw your listing.Maybe you have solved your problem already.The Lady McNaughton also Lady McNaghten left Cork on 5 Nov 1836 and arr.in Sydney 26 Feb 1837.The ship was quarantined until 10 May 1837 at North Head Quarantine Station.Approx 56 children died from measles and a further 50 or so passengers are reported to have died from typhus.The Mitchell Library in Sydney has full list of passengers and record of the enquiry that was held also a letter by 10 Irish passengers re maltreatment on board.My ancestor Bridget HARCOURT was an emigrant on this ship.

Offline trev1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 March 07 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Rushen And Perry McIntyre have just published a book on the Lady McNaughton. It was launched at the Quarantine Station in Sydney last week. Don't have other details to hand.

Offline Oz Peggy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 March 07 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Trev1
Iwill follow this up and I'm also on the lookout for a book on female migration written by Elizabeth Rushen "Single and Free"

Regards Oz Peggy.

Offline trev1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 March 07 01:44 GMT (UK) »

Offline Galindanne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 April 11 02:59 BST (UK) »
Hi I'm new here.