Author Topic: John Wilmot's marriage  (Read 3049 times)

eawz

John Wilmot's marriage
« on: Sunday 30 April 06 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am trying to find out who was the JOHN WILMOT who married Mary Cowell, Haslingfield 30 Jul 1804. I have 2 "candidates". John Wilmot, baptized 15 Nov 1767, Great Eversden (son of John Wilmot and Mary Beard) and John Wilmot, baptized 15 Oct 1775, Barrington (son of William Wilmot and Elizabeth Rayner).
John's occupation was "carpenter". In 1841, 1851 and 1861, John and Mary were living in Barrington. They had 5 children, the middle one, Thomas, was my gggrandfather.
I would appreciate any help. Thank you
Enrique

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Wilmot's marriage
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 06 18:19 BST (UK) »
If the Barrington John and Mary are the parents of your  gg grandfather then I'm not sure what your doubt is! In 1851 John was 75 born Barrington, Mary was 70 born Haslingfield. Consistent information in 1861.

The census information can surely only point to one of your two candidates, and it's not the one born in Gt Eversden in 1767!

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

eawz

« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 06 20:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, David. I was affraid that was the correct answer.
Enrique

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 May 06 20:52 BST (UK) »
Why is that a problem Enrique? Plenty of people willing to help on this board, although I'm now out of action for a week.

Regards

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

eawz

« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 May 06 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi, David, The problem is that I will have to discard abt 6 month of research in this area. Let me go further back. Thomas Wilmot, b 2 Oct 1774, Great Eversden was a close relative (probably an uncle) of "my branch" of Wilmots that moved to London in the early 1800's. He was awarded the Medal of Waterloo which went down the generations of Thomas Wilmot (Willmott) and ended with my father (Ernest Thomas Willmott) in Argentina. I had assumed Thomas was a younger brother to John Wilmot b. 15 Nov 1767, Great Eversden, both children of John Wilmot and Mary Beard.
BUT, if John was born Barrington, son of William and Elizabeth Rayner married Foxton 1775, this connection is lost. I have the microfiche for Barrington parish. I just need some time to go to a library to use a reader.
This William Wilmot probably died in 1836 (age 89), therefore there may be a baptism around 1747 in Barrington.
Thank you for your help.
Enrique

eawz

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 May 06 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again David. Yes, William Wilmot was baptised Barrington7 May 1748, son of John Wilmot and Mary. This John was also probably baptised Barrington 1 Jul 1716, son of John Wilmot and Margaret (Dawson?).
I guess this answers my question. John Wilmot christened Haslingfield (1740) married Mary Beard in Barrington 14 Oct 1766 but they must have moved to Great Eversden since their 7 children were born there. These 2 Johns must have been related somehow. Born 9 years apart, within 2 Kms from each other, (cousins?).
Thank you,
Enrique