Author Topic: Channel Islands Census  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Channel Islands Census
« on: Sunday 30 April 06 23:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

This is my first post on the Channel Islands boards, so please forgive me if it is in the wrong place.

I have just found out that the regiment my GG Grandfather was in were based in the Channel Islands c1877.

His third child was born in 1883 in Hartley Wintney, Southampton but I am unable to trace them on the England & Wales 1881 Census.

How would I go about checking any Census' returns for the Channel Islands.

The family are:
Thomas HILL
Mary HILL (nee Yates) born Canada c1843
Amy HILL born Ireland (possibly) c1871
Sarah HILL born Fulwood Barracks, Lancashire 1874
Florence HILL born Hartley Wintney, Southampton 1883
William HILL born Hartley Wintney 1886

Any pointers greatly apprecialted.

Nadine
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: Channel Islands Census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 April 06 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Nadine,

Is this him? If so, he's listed as unmarried!

1881 Census of St Helier, Jersey
Fort Regent Barracks
Thomas Hill, unm, 32, Private 2nd Batt 12th Regt, born England
[among others, of course]
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 06 18:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

Thank you for looking for me, this may be him but I hope not as it poses even more questions.

Having reread my original thread, I realised I did not give the regiment he was in.

In 1874 when Sarah HILL was born, Thomas was a private in the 47th Regiment of Foot. I do not know how old he would be but his wife was born about 1843. Sadly, I know nothing more about the whole family at the moment so cannot give you a place of birth for him either.

I would be interested to know if you have an entry that matches the above.

Thanks

Nadine
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline gippeswyc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Nadine

I have looked at the 1891 census for Jersey and non of this family appear to be there, no doubt moved on being an army family. Here are the Hills from that census in case any of them settled.

gippeswyc

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Gippeswyc

Thank you for this info, sadly I am unable to confirm if any of them belong to me at the moment. I will keep your list as I may find a link one day.

I am still thinking this family just don't want to be found between 1874 and 1901 Census (they were in Kent by this time).

Once again, thanks for taking time to look for me.

Nadine

Offline Mike E

• Email notifications have been turned off
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 May 06 18:31 BST (UK) »
Nadine -

You can see the history of the 47 Regiment at www.regiments.org/deploy/uk/reg-inf/047-1.htm

This confirms that they were indeed in Jersey in 1877, but it looks like they were soon posted to Ireland - so Thomas Hill might not have been in Jersey in 1881. 

Best of luck in your search.

Mike
Entwistle (Bolton and Edgworth)
Cook(e) (Manchester and Warwicks)
Whitaker (Lancs and Cumberland)
McMillen and Palmer (Co Down)
Hyde and Oakley (Staffs)
Lovet, Edwards and Clark (Salop)
Ratcliffe, Walker and Ruffley (Lancs)
Sainsbury (Gloucs, Cornwall and Yorks)
Laundry (Cornwall)
Waterhouse and Haigh (Yorks)
Bird, Rendel / Rendle, Bull, Stoodley, Shoemake / Shoemark, Groves, Baker, Hallett, Burford, Gaylard, Mounter, Highmore (Somerset)
Barber, Brown (Cheshire)
Waterfield (Derby)

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 May 06 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Thank you for this link, I will have a good look at it. It does confirm that the regiment were in Canada (where Thomas' wife is meant to come from) so could explian how they met.

I guess I shall have to take the plunge into Irish records now.

Thanks again,

Nadine