Author Topic: Henry Wilkins, Mid-Ulster Royal Garrison Artillery, Dungannon  (Read 2435 times)

Offline HistoryTeam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Wilkins, Mid-Ulster Royal Garrison Artillery, Dungannon
« on: Monday 01 May 06 12:50 BST (UK) »
I have discovered that my Gt. Grandfather (Henry Wilkins married to Sarah, Jane Wilkins {nee Jeffers} living at Railway Terrace, Dungannon in 1882) was a staff-sergeant in the above Militia at this time.  The Historical Museum in Armagh have informed me that the regiment was originally raised in 1855 at Charlemont, co. Antrim, as the Tyrone Artillery Militia.  In May 1868 the headquarters of the regiment was transferred to Dungannon where it remained until disbanded. The name of the regiment was changed to the Mid-Ulster Royal Field Artillery (reserve) on 9 August 1908.  I presently know very little about Henry and Sarah, their marriage, their family, etc.  I would also like to establish what the Militia was?  would my Gt. Grandfather have had full time employment in it?  Might there be a list of serving officiers accessible to me?  Any suggestions as to how I might pursue this would be appreciated.