Author Topic: Citadel Barracks, Dover  (Read 3995 times)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Citadel Barracks, Dover
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 May 06 18:47 BST (UK) »
 ??? Can't remember where I got this information - I had to look it up because I have two chaps in the Royal Artillery, both married and both wives appear to have been with their husbands Abroad, having said that they were both Sergeants.........

"Although ordinary enlisted men were not encouraged to marry, before 1850 ‘other ranks’ could marry at age 26. 

Sometimes a soldiers wife was ‘allowed on the strength of the regiment’, she would then have permission to live within the barracks, was entitled to draw half rations for herself and a quarter rations for any of her children. 

The wives of men who married without permission lived in lodgings or shanties around the garrison towns.  Only 4-6 wives in every 100 were allowed to travel abroad with their husbands. If they did they were expected to act as cooks, washerwomen, nurses etc.  Women were chosen by ballot, often on the quayside at the moment of departure. 

By the late 1850’s Staff Sergeants were allowed to marry, 50% of other sergeants and up to 40% of other ranks, but permission to marry was only granted after 7 years service, 2 good conduct badges and savings of £5.00."

I followed your fellow through the census and it seems he never claims to be a 'pensioner' - he always has an occupation - I'd say he was out by the time of his marriage.

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 May 06 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Suey, Mick & Chris

Thank you for all your replies.

I'm sorry but I had to have a giggle to myself when I read the post from Chris " 6 wives to 100 men", blimey, wouldn't have fancied being one of them. ! ;)

Seriously though, I think probably you're right Suey & he did leave the Army before he married. Did you by chance find him in the 1881,? I couldn't. !!!

Again, thanks for your time & all the info. It's much appreciated.

Regards
Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 May 06 09:05 BST (UK) »

Hi Maddie, no, no sign of Stephen looks likely that he was in India
In 1881 the 1st battalion were in England, the 2nd battalion (in 1881) were stationed at Jubbulpore in India and returned to England (Chatham) in 1896 (via Ceylon in 1891)
;D Looks like you will be planning a trip to Kew  ;)

Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 May 06 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Suey

Thank you for confirming that Stephen wasn't to be found on the 1881. Yes, I guess he must have been in India.

I think I'm going to have to put a trip to Kew on the cards but heavens knows when. :-\

Regards
Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk