Author Topic: Sense of belonging!  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sense of belonging!
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 May 06 08:23 BST (UK) »
I'm suprised at that!  I've been moaning for a long time about Legacy, 'cause it won't let me do just that and it gets in the way of entering homosexual civil unions. :-\
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 08 May 06 19:39 BST (UK) »
I use the Generations software for my family tree, and when I add a new "spouse" I can select male or female.  I've just tried adding a new female partner to myself :o and it works!!!! ;D

Jan

Oh dear!  I was using Generations Grande Suite version 8 but now I can't load it onto my new (partner's) pc which has Windows XP on it.  I was thinking of getting Legacy but I liked Generations.  Does anyone use Roots Magic?  I was wondering if that was any good.
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 08 May 06 19:52 BST (UK) »

Does anyone use Roots Magic?  I was wondering if that was any good.

Try this thread:
Topic: I need some advice on choosing a Family History Program
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,30994.0.html

amongst others, reply #63

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 08 May 06 20:10 BST (UK) »
No I don't have a sense of belonging when it comes to my ancestors, I grew up in another country than all my relatives and could count how many times I've met blood relatives in both hands. So was never close to any of them, even doing the tree hasn't brought me any closer to them. I like to talk about them but it is like their not my family just interesting people.
My grandfather was illegitimate called his step-father dad and he treated him like a son (I have some letters written between them) so he is on my tree as his "father" as it takes so much more than blood.

Sharon
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hopton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 08 May 06 21:10 BST (UK) »
Maybe then we feel a stronger sense of belonging or connection when we have known and liked some of our older members of our trees, and we have a interest in their families, I must admit I do have favorites that I will spend more time on than other's.
  I can understand that if you have never met family members, it may feel a bit more remote.

Janet.
Hopton in Yorkshire, Simkiss in Manchester, Oldland in Staffordshire, Garratt in Northamptonshire, Thornthwaite in Cumberland, Wolfenden in Oldham, Howe in Cumberland/Westmorland, Taylor in Cumberland/Westmorland, Shaw in Cumberland/Westmorland, Lee in Rochdale,  Jackson in Burnley, Shotton in Northumberland/Durham, Slater in Skipton, Laidman in Northumberland.

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 00:52 BST (UK) »
I get quite fond of some of mine and spend a lot of time thinking about them and wondering what they were like and how they felt about some of the things that happened to them.  And wondering what they'd think if they could see how we live now.  I'm sure my great-grandparents would never have expected to see us girls especially earning our living, living on our own, not having children, and the education we can have!  You know, when anyone asks what period I'd like to have lived in, the answer is NOW!  I wouldn't want to go back and actually live in the past with fewer opportunities and choices.  I know we romanticise the past and probably there really was a lot about it that was better, but even so . . .
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 08:48 BST (UK) »
You know, when anyone asks what period I'd like to have lived in, the answer is NOW!  I wouldn't want to go back and actually live in the past with fewer opportunities and choices.  I know we romanticise the past and probably there really was a lot about it that was better, but even so . . .

Dead right, MrsLizzy!!  I'm one of those who does have a sense of belonging to my family, but when I find out how their lives went - and I greatly admire some of them for the tribulations they successfully got through - I would certainly not want to be back there with them!  As a woman, now is the only time to be!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 09 May 06 11:16 BST (UK) »
I use the Generations software for my family tree, and when I add a new "spouse" I can select male or female.  I've just tried adding a new female partner to myself :o and it works!!!! ;D

Jan

Oh dear!  I was using Generations Grande Suite version 8 but now I can't load it onto my new (partner's) pc which has Windows XP on it.  I was thinking of getting Legacy but I liked Generations.  Does anyone use Roots Magic?  I was wondering if that was any good.

Mrs Lizzy, I use Windows XP and my Generations software works perfectly.  If I remember correctly, I did have to buy an update, which was worth it because I find Generations really easy to use.   I can dig out the details if you like - let me know by PM :)

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand