Author Topic: McHales from Foxford  (Read 1809 times)

Offline jigfish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McHales from Foxford
« on: Monday 01 May 06 18:06 BST (UK) »

I was wondering if anyone could help me find a bit of extra detail, i found this listing of my g grandad micheal and his dad on a free 1901 census but it doesnt give full details. Could anyone help me find out 1: if they were irish speakers 2: if margaret was michaels mother or sister as its an even 18 years split and 3: if old mary was johns mother or mother in law.

thanks
fish

Foxford T. Toomore Gallen Mayo Household McHale John(56) farmer Margret(39)-Michael(21)-Mary(99) mother/widow 

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McHales from Foxford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 06 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi jigfish and welcome to rootschat.
To get the information you want you would have to access a copy of the census itself. If you live near a Latter Day Saints centre/library, you can order a microfilm to view. The people there are pretty good at looking the items up for you and helping you with the order. It takes a few weeks to come through generally and then you can access it for a month at the centre (appointments usually necessary). It's only about £3 and well worth it. Most likely you will be able to order the 1911 census too- Ireland released it because of the lack of records. Better still - a visit to Ireland!
As to relationship- it could well be that Margaret is the wife - age gaps like that were quite acceptable - again you would have to check the census. Mary would most likely be his mother - it looks like the mother of the head of household - would be mother-in-law otherwise. All my family were down as Irish/English speakers so that might be likely.
best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk