Author Topic: Big favour needed to look at a Marriage Licence  (Read 1079 times)

Offline drewsankie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My 6 X Gt Uncle James Brindley
    • View Profile
Big favour needed to look at a Marriage Licence
« on: Monday 01 May 06 18:26 BST (UK) »
I need to find what info there is on the Marriage Licence for the following person and any other info as i am trying to locate his birth place.

James Stubbs married Elizabeth Wimbush 23rd Dec 1793 at Fenny Compton, Warwickshire.

Now Pallotts Index has the following

Warwick: - Registers of Marriages, 1538-1812
 1578. Burials. 
  Marriages at Fenny Compton, 1627 to 1812. 
   Volume 2. 
County: Warwick 
James Stubbs, p. Chapel Charlton, co. Stafford, b., & Elizabeth Wimbush, s., lic. 23 Dec 1793 

To me this says he is born in the county of Stafford, but it could also mean that he was just of that parish at the time of marriage !
So it would be handy if i could find his parents, so the clues may lie in the marriage Certificate and the Licence...

James Stubbs was born abt 1765 and died in Braunston Northants in 1828
This has been a brick wall for me for many years....!
Regards Ian Markie
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk<br /><br />GENEALOGISTS DON`T DIE THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS !<br /><br />Markie, Northants, London, Scotland, New Zealand<br />Gibson,Gt Doddington, Denton Northants<br />Allen, Northampton<br />Ashley,Kettering Burton Latimer, Kings Cliffe, Australia <br />Stubbs. Northants, Staffs<br />Greenough, Northampton<br />Lewin, Brownsell, Bucks.<br />Whitehead, London, Scotland.<br />Thompson, Mears Ashby Northants/ Tiney, Woodford

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Big favour needed to look at a Marriage Licence
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 May 06 19:07 BST (UK) »
Marriage certificates were not issued until 1837.

The entry in Pallots looks like the complete entry from the parish register.

All that remains of the licence will be the allegation in the diocese records.  This if it can be found will only contain a father if he stood surity, which would be unusual and even then will probably not specify the relationship.

You might find a parent named in either parish register or the allegation if one of the parties was under age.

Chapel Charlton would have been the parish where James Stubbs was living at the time of the marriage.  It implies nothing more.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline drewsankie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My 6 X Gt Uncle James Brindley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 May 06 19:16 BST (UK) »
Ok, you never know, its the best clue i have had on this chap.

Then i need to try and locate the parish of Chapel charlton in Staffordshire...and hope for the best.... LOL !

I know marriage certs were not issued untill 1837 but i mean the entry as sometimes they give a clue, i know its rare.
Ian
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk<br /><br />GENEALOGISTS DON`T DIE THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS !<br /><br />Markie, Northants, London, Scotland, New Zealand<br />Gibson,Gt Doddington, Denton Northants<br />Allen, Northampton<br />Ashley,Kettering Burton Latimer, Kings Cliffe, Australia <br />Stubbs. Northants, Staffs<br />Greenough, Northampton<br />Lewin, Brownsell, Bucks.<br />Whitehead, London, Scotland.<br />Thompson, Mears Ashby Northants/ Tiney, Woodford

Offline Lemontree

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 May 06 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

Here is a link to the staffordshire page listing parishes in Staffordshire
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/STS/parishes.html

You could also try the phillimores to see if the parish exists or contact Staffordshire ro and see if they have a place names in staffordshire - because if it was a really small hamlet that James lived in he may have been baptised somewhere near, and the staff may be able to help you with the location.

To get a photocopy of the marriage between James Stubbs and Elizabeth Wimbush you can contact Warwickshire County Record Office they will do a photocopy of the entry from the parish register as you have the exact date of marriage - they charge £2.50 for this and make you fill in an orange form, so telephone them or email them and give them your address and tell them you want a photocopy from the parish register.

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/general/rcindex.htm

Worcestershire record office I think hold the surviving marriage licences/bonds for Fenny Compton and so if you contact them they will let you know if the marriage licence survives and how to get a copy. There webpage is down at the moment, the telephone number is 01905 763763. The marriage licence can contain all sorts of information - if your lucky it could lead you further..good luck

I hope this helps

Lemon

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 May 06 21:13 BST (UK) »
You actually want the parish of Chorlton which seems to be combined with the parish of Eccleshall.  The records would seem to be at Staffordshire Record Office

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk