Author Topic: John Woodman and Phillis Stobbart  (Read 3980 times)

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Woodman and Phillis Stobbart
« on: Tuesday 02 May 06 01:18 BST (UK) »
Would like to be able to find some further information on both John Woodman and Phillis Stobbart. John was born about 1790 possibly in the Allendale area, Phillis was born 1792 at Ninebanks.
They married 1819 and their family was John born 1820, Thomas 1821, Hannah 1824,Matthew 1825, Frances 1825 [twins], Ann 1833 and Phillis 1833 [twins]. The only one I have managed to find anything on is Fanny who was my gr g r grandmother.
Twiggy

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Woodman and Phillis Stobbart
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 13:28 BST (UK) »
Here's a possibility for John:

Baptised: 18 June 1791
Child's name: John WOODMAN
Father: John
Mother (no name given)
Other info: Father labourer
Notes: bast (?bastard?)
Parish: Hexham, Nbl

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Traceya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Twiggy,

John Woodman c 1790 married Phillis Stobbart 21-8-1819. Father of Phillis - John or Jack Stobbart c1760, mother -Fanny unknown c 1763.  John/Jack & Fanny married c 1784.

As yet no info on the parents of John Woodman.

John & Phillis are my GGGG Grandparents.  Frances was/is my GGG Grandmother

I will check my files to see if I have any further info, that I haven't confirmed yet.

Happy Hunting
Tracey
HAMPSHIRE - Macdonald, Matthews. 
DEVON - Bennett, Macdonald. 
SOMERSET - Macdonald. 
SURREY - Ayling, Ansell, Collins, Matthews, Macdonald.
SUSSEX - Collins, Matthews. 
CUMBERLAND - Grainger.
DURHAM - Blake. 
NORTHUMBERLAND - Grainger, Lee, Parker, Stobbart, Woodman.

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 June 06 05:00 BST (UK) »
I am so sorry I haven't replied sooner, I have just found your message, I didn't get a message to say any had been posted.
I have very little on John Woodman or Phillis Stobbart, I know Phillis was a daughter of John Stobbart and Frances Keenlyside, I know Phillis' father was a Matthew and mother was Sarah Martin.
John? well, Ihaven't been able to pin down an actual baptism, couple of possibles but not sure.
The other children I have of John and Frances were Matthew, John,  William, and another John, but the records were so bad I wasn't able to read it properly.
John Woodman and Phillis Stobbart had 6 or 7 children, Hannah, Matthew, Fanny, Ann, Phillis, Thomas and John.
Fanny married Thomas Parker and they were my gr gr grandparents..
Twiggy

Offline Traceya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 June 06 15:31 BST (UK) »
I know Phillis was a daughter of John Stobbart and Frances Keenlyside, I know Phillis' father was a Matthew and mother was Sarah Martin.

Might just be me but I don't understand above section - the way I'm reading it you have 2 sets of parents for Phillis.  I have her parents as John & Frances.  I have not come across a Matthew Stobbart who married a Sarah Martin, although I do have 2 Matthew Stobbarts.

As mentioned in my previous message Thomas & Frances are my GGG Grandparents.  I have them with 6 children: John, Jane, Margaret, Matthew, Thomas & William.  Jane is my GG Grandmother - which one is your ancestor?

Tracey
SOMERSET - Macdonald. 
CUMBERLAND - Grainger.
DURHAM - Blake. 

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 June 06 02:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry about the mix up. Okay here I go again. A John Woodman married a Phillis Stobbart 21/8/1819  at Haydon Bridge. Their children that I have  are: John born 1820, Thomas 1821. Hannah 1824, Matthew 1825 Frances [Fanny] 1825, Ann 1833 and Phillis 1833, now these years may be wrong, I don't know.
Phillis was the youngest daughter of John Stobbart and Frances Keenlyside who married 1784. Their children were Matthew 1785, John 1787, William 1789, Phillis 1792 and perhaps another John 1799.
Frances Keenlyside was  a daughter of a Matthew and Sarah nee Martin.
Frances Woodman married Thomas Parker 1847 and their children were John Nicholas 1847, Jane 1849, Thomas 1852, Margaret Phillis Elizabeth [my gr gr grandmother] 1854, William 1857, Matthew George 1860 and Edith Annie Hannah Maria 1873.
There are a couple of Matthew Keenlyside's who could fit the bill as far as birth is concerned, same as John Woodmans but have not been able to actually pin point the correct one.
Twiggy

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 June 06 02:54 BST (UK) »
Dear Tracey,
Again my sincere  apologisies, I have just reread you message and see we are related, you are the first link I have had to Jane. I have managed to get in touch with descendants of Matthew George, but no others. I have a bit on the family not as much as I would like however. Which one of Jane's children are you descended from. My grandfather was Robert Nicholas Hall son of Margaret and William Hall nee Parker. Now it seems Margaret had another sone before she married William Hall, who was registered as Parker but later took the Hall name, and he married Daisy Maughan, daughter of John Nicholas Maughan who owned Newbrough lodge.
I have on the 1901 census Fanny Parker along with 2 of her granddaughters Margaret Lee and Maude Parker living in Stonecroft Cottage, owned by the Parkers.
I have the children of Robert and Jane as Margaret born about 1876, Thomas William 1877, John Nicholas 1880, Matthew ?, Oliver ? Annie ? and Robert ?.
Jane died in 1895 and is buried in St Peters Churchyard at Newbrough, I don't know when Robert died, I have him still alive in 1901.
Whereabouts are you? I live In Australia, but all going well, I will be visiting England in 2007, and hope to be able to spend some time in Northumberland going to the places the family came from.
Twiggy

Offline Pialba

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 July 06 02:47 BST (UK) »
Dear tracey,
Haven't had a reply to my last letter, and wonder if all is well with you. Also do you have the birth dates of the other children of Jane Parker and Robert Lee. Have you been able to find the Lee's on the 1841 census? I just don't seem to be able to find them.
Twiggy

Offline Traceya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 July 06 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Twiggy,

sorry for delay not ignoring you just busy with work.

Children of Robert & Jane : -  Annie c1887, John Nickolas c1881, Matthew  c1884, Margaret c1876, Oliver Parker c1886, Robert c1890, Thomas William c1877.

Possible 1841 census:- HO107/839/23, f6. p5. 

Do you know the father of Maude c1876?

In answer to previous question I'm based North West England but still have family in Northumberland and Durham - visit fairly regularly (not often enough according to mum).  Trying to work out if there is a way of contacting you without posting private details on a public forum - any ideas.

Tracey
SOMERSET - Macdonald. 
CUMBERLAND - Grainger.
DURHAM - Blake.