Author Topic: Reason for leaving?  (Read 5397 times)

Offline colin+maureen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reason for leaving?
« on: Tuesday 02 May 06 20:09 BST (UK) »
I just don't seem to understand why my ancestor left Crossmichael (circa 1860)and the beauty of Loch Ken to travel down to Industrial Lancashire and work in the same type of job 'farm labourer'.

Personal contributary factors would be..
3rd son therefore would not inherit farm.
Industrial revolution in Lancashire ( still worked as a farmer?)

Alternatively could there be some basic generic factor that caused many people to migrate? Any ideas or anyone give me a steer?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reason for leaving?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin or Maureen

I might have some ideas. Mine left the same area - and Loch Ken is beautiful - in the 1830s and 1840s. It might well be what is now called 'the Lowland Clearances'. It was featured in a Radio 4/Radio Scotland Series about 2-3 years ago and a book was produced.

The landowners realised that the old system of long leasehold tenures (11- 19 years) was economically unviable so they first of all introduced 'improving leases' which, understandably,  meant that tenants had to improve their land and then they raised the stakes even higher. Many of the landholdings were then sold off to various wealthy people who either wanted country estates or, in the better agricultural areas, good land for stock rearing.

There was also, as you may know, various famines, crop/stock failures and agricultural slumps - this was fairly soon after the 'potato famine' in Ireland. All sorts of factors were involved.

Some of my family went to Canada, as did many Scots,. Others, including my direct ancestors went to Wales and the Manchester area.

I've written quite a bit up on this from my ancestors perspective (I have family letters) and will put it up on my website as soon as poss.

Hope this is of some use.

Gadget

PS a picture on my current 'temporary' site shows Kells Church

PPS Just found the book I was refering to its:

Aitchison, Peter and Cassell, Andrew (2003) The Lowland Clearances, Tuckwell Press
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline colin+maureen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

I suspected some ulterior motive, you just don't move voluntarily from a wonderful place. I'd heard of the Highland Clearances post Culloden etc, but nether thought of anything like that in the Stewartry. Anyway thanks for your very interesting narrative.

PS What is the address of your temporary site and also do you know where I could purchase the Lowland Clearances?

Offline colin+maureen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Any location in Manchester for your ancestors, if I can help?

Regards

Colin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin
It's just a temporary site - if you click on the globe beneath My Lovely Mum avatar you'll get there (I hope  :-\ )

I'm not sure where you can get the book. It might be worth trying Amazon or BBC Publications or a Library. It's certainly well worth a read - and well worth buying for anyone interested in the Lowlands.  The website for tuckwell  (publishers) is:

www.tuckwellpress.co.uk

My ancestors came from Kells/Parton/Balmaclellan and Parton with some collaterals (Kellys, I think) in Crossmichael. 

They were mainly Burgess, Wilson and Carson. Most of the Burgess gang (except grt x 3 granddad, James) went to Ontario (descendants still there - Muskokas, Arran, Bruce County, Toronto and Hamilton).

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 22:55 BST (UK) »
And here's a little piccie I took in October 2003

Offline colin+maureen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Interesting my ancestors are Wilson from Crossmichael and Houston from Borgue (back to circa 1720).

We're a bit stuck on Maxwell line GGG Grandmother (Lucy) living in Buittle at the time of my GG Granfather Francis Wilson birth in 1810. There seems no trace of her or husband James pre this date, just need to search more parishes I think!

I'll have a look at your site....

Cheers

Colin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 23:23 BST (UK) »
Wilson's a difficult line to search in SW Scotland Colin  :( And Maxwell's pretty 'common' as well. I've got all the MIs for KKD if you want me to have look but if yours were anything like mine, they'll be in unmarked graves with the lair book non-extant  :( I've only got one definite MI for all of them. I've been through the Kells  & Parton Kirk Session minutes for about 150 years and only two def mentions there as well  :'( :'( :'(

Gadget

Offline colin+maureen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 May 06 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

Thanks for that may take up your offer another time, bed time for me.

Cheers

Colin