Author Topic: Northumberland Fusiliers  (Read 16078 times)

Offline Wincey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland Fusiliers
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 15 February 12 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Peter

Your website to the Home Guard is fascinating and a real tribute to those shown.  I notice that there was a Capt Stabell in the 5th Btn home guard.  This could be one and the same who was a friend/colleague of and served with my grandfather in 19th in WW1. I could find out more details and get back to you if it is of interest.

Please can I ask you how you came by the photo 13 and the other photos. Sorry, just to clarify you have no knowledge of the identity of any of the 19th shown on them? Is there anything recorded on the rear of the photos.

Many thanks for sharing and helping me.

Kind regards

Offline Peterhastie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 16 February 12 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wincey

Yes please to the info on Alfred Stabell.

All I have is that an  Alfred Stabell m  Isabella A Bulliens  1916 Ncle and

Alfred Stabell @ 5 Balmoral tce, South Gosforth, with Isabella Adams Stabell (1939 Wallsend Voting Register PD D)

The photo's came from Vernon Varts grandson.

Peter

Offline tayn27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I've just stumbled upon this forum/thread and was interested to discover the four photos Peter Hastie posted back in February. The first photo was particularly exciting as it shows my great uncle, Samuel Charlton, on the extreme right, second-back row. Does anyone have any other photos of the Northumberland Fusiliers' 19th Battalion? Great Uncle Sam was sadly killed by the shell alluded to elsewhere on this site which exploded on 19 October 1918. His death date is given as the following day, so I'm guessing he died of his wounds, but have no further information about any hospital admission or potential medical treatment. I include this photo in my possession, with each man named. I hope it might be of interest.

Martin

Offline Bishop Aukland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 08 December 18 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tayn.
It was my Grandad who lost his arm in that incident. He was Corporal Hopper. I wonder if you have the rest of that photograph, and if perhaps he is on it?

Offline tayn27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 13 December 18 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bishop Aukland,

Thanks for getting in touch. The whole photo should be visible to you, but I think because it's so large you have to scroll along (left to right) to see it all.

It's very interesting to hear about your grandad, who would almost certainly have known my great uncle. I'm sorry to say that Corporal Hopper's name doesn't feature on this particular photo. I wonder if you might have any photos of your grandad with his fellow NF pals, which perhaps my uncle may feature on? I'd be very interested to know.

Martin

Offline Bishop Aukland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 13 December 18 17:44 GMT (UK) »
AAh, if only. Unfortunately, my father died young and we somehow lost touch with his family in South Durham. So I have little to go on. Whilst I do have my dad's photo albums, his dad's are still in his family somewhere I guess. When my Mum died, I inherited Grandad's MM, which set me off on a quest. Peterhastie put some photos up on this thread further down. Have you seen them?
All of the people who might have known something, like my Uncle Les and Auntie Millie, are gone now of course. The only relative I actually met who might still be with us is my cousin Colin Bell. I tried to find him, but it is a common name and the search defeated me.

You are right about the photo. I copied it and it all came out.