Author Topic: lookup dingwall/bain marriage 1813  (Read 5666 times)

Offline donaldsonjc

• I am sorry but my emails address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
lookup dingwall/bain marriage 1813
« on: Tuesday 02 May 06 20:25 BST (UK) »
Would appreciate help finding names of parents of both John Dingwall and Ann Bain who were married 18 Jun 1813 in Fodderty, Ross and Cromarty. They are my GGG grandparents. I live in Vancouver, Canada.
Surnames: Donaldson McRaw Hutchison Gullen Hancock McGavin Dingwall Tolmie Cameron Henry Macdonald Pallister Abbey Biggers Carroll
Places: Perthshire, Dingwall, Ayrshire, County Cavan, Quebec, Ontario, BC

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: lookup dingwall/bain marriage 1813
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 May 06 10:17 BST (UK) »
I don't think you will get the parents from their marriage lookup, usually the OPRs will give the couples names and their parish

try the below link

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyRoss_And_Cromarty.htm#PageTitle
Beaton Bethune, Campbell -  ROC
Mitchell Leslie - Aberdeen
Mackintosh, Anderson (Provost) -  Inverness
Boyle, Mckechnie, McPhail, Fulton  - Ireland, Greenock, Kilbrachan
Pearce, Curnoe/Curnow -  Cornwall
Patterson, Robson, Sloan, Campbell, Dixon, Wilson, Ritson, Hedley, Vipond, Coulson -  South Shields, Sunderland, Northumberland, Cumberland
Kitcheham/Kitchingham, Gage -  Kent

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 May 06 15:51 BST (UK) »
Hi John

We don't have the same problem (RC) with this family line as with the Farquhar McDonald line!

No details on parents here, just some additional info. There are two marriage entries for John D and Ann Bain, actual extracts from the OPRs.  It would appear that probably Banns were read at separate places where they each came from:

1. JOHN DINGWALL  Marriage: JUN 1813 Dingwall, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
2. JOHN DINGWALL Marriage: 18 JUN 1813 Fodderty, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland

There are also some children showing on IGI:

1. DONALD DINGWALL  Birth: 08 MAR 1817 Fodderty, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland
2. GEORGE DINGWALL Birth: 19 OCT 1819 Fodderty, Ross And Cromarty, Scotland

I can see a death entry on Scotlands People for an Ann Dingwall other name Bain in 1870, born 1790 which would fit your Ann.

Which of their children is your line?

Regards.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline donaldsonjc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 May 06 23:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Weemary and Monica

These are indeed my Dingwalls.
Am descended from George>John>Colin>Mairi>me. Colin came to Canada in 1907.

With your help I have learned how to search the LDS site for IGI records etc and have registered with Scotlands People to get copies of birth and marriage records. The downside is that this genealogy hobby becomes quite addictive! But it is very gratifying.

Thanks again
Surnames: Donaldson McRaw Hutchison Gullen Hancock McGavin Dingwall Tolmie Cameron Henry Macdonald Pallister Abbey Biggers Carroll

Offline donaldsonjc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 July 06 16:34 BST (UK) »
I received a copy of Banns and Marriages for 18th June 1813 and am puzzled by the language. The letters are a little difficult to decipher but by comparing them to the rest of the page it looks like:

"May 29 Were contracted John Dingwall Lught of Dochcairn and Ann Bain Leadohuuch and married the 18th of June"

Lught apparently means "light". I found a reference to a place named Dochairn on the internet but no Dochcairn. But what does Lught of Dochcairn mean?

The Leadohuuch may be Lead ohuuch (two words) or possibly Seadohuuch (no capital L's on the page for comparison) but a search on the internet did not provide any matches to these words.

The other seven entries on the page are straightforward - just the names of the parties and their parishes. Were Dochcairn and Leadohuuch also the names of parishes?

Any help would be appreciated.

John

Offline maclennan25

• RootsChat Senior
  • ancestors always seem to be just out of reach.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 July 06 09:13 BST (UK) »
hi there.

i don't recognise the names (i live locally to those areas), but i will have another look for you later today...

the closest i can think of at the moment is an area in Dingwall called "Docharty" and there is also a farm by that name.....

if you go to multimap.com and type in Dingwall the relevant page showing Dingwall and Fodderty will come up. then zoom in (twice on my browser) and you should see Docharty there - just north of the Dingwall business park.

kind regards,
Lorna.

Offline Walt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 July 06 10:07 BST (UK) »
Try the Heights of Dochcarty & Leidchruich.Just to the North West of Dingwall
                                                                                                                          regards, Walter
Stirling :- Paisley,Stirlingshire,Aberdeen,Ross-Shire.
Mutch :-Banffshire,Abderdeenshire. 
Fletcher :-Inverness,Ross-Shire.    Fraser :-Inverness.
MacDonald,McDonald :-Inverness,Ross-Shire,      Michie :-Stirling.     Brown :- Stirling.             Sutherland :- Inverness

Offline Beauly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 July 06 13:19 BST (UK) »
Don't know if it is of any help John, but I have a Catherine Dingwall born abt 1805 in either Rosskeen or Fodderty (census records show both). She was married to Donald Munro & her parents were Alexander Dingwall & Catherine (or possibly Isabella) McLennan - from Fodderty but that is all I know
Don