Author Topic: David Baskerville  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
David Baskerville
« on: Tuesday 02 May 06 20:42 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that someone can help.

I am looking for a David Baskerville, probably born between 1810-1820 (?). According to a researcher hired many years ago, David Baskerville married Harriet Baskerville. Unfortunately, no marriage details were given to us. In 1840-1842 (Cheshire), they had a son David, and in 1843-1846, a daughter Sarah Anne. (There could have been more children, but we have not found any.)

According to his son’s Marriage Certificate in 1864, David was deceased. His last known occupation was shown to be “Carter”. (We believe he died in or around 1851)

When I checked the 1841 & 1851 census for Cheshire, he was not listed with his wife and son. We also tried Devon and that did show a David Baskerville at around the correct age and name of wife, but unfortunately, no younger David. Cornwall was also tried, but no David’s at all.

In 1841, we are also missing Harriet's father Thomas, who would have been born in Cheshire around 1786, but is not on any census for that area. We were hoping that Thomas might have been traveling with David.

1841 Census
Plumbley, Cheshire

HO107/92/21 pg 11
Sarah Baskerville 55 Ag (land through rest)
Harriet 30
George 20
William 15
Elizabeth 3
David 6 months
Harriet Hulme 12
all born in County.

1851 Census 
71 Towland, Hale, Cheshire             

Baskerville Thomas Head Mar 64 Ag Lab Over Peover
Baskerville Harriot Daughter U 39 Launderer Plumbley
Baskerville George Son Wid 29 Ag Lab Over Peover
Baskerville William Son U 36 Ag Lab Over Peover
Baskerville David Grandson   9 Scholar Plumbley
Baskerville Sarah-Ann Granddaughter   8 Scholar Hale
Baskerville Martha Granddaughter   3   Altrincham

1851 Census
Cowick Street, St Thomas Apostle St Thomas, Devonshire

HO/107/1867 Folio 200 Page 16
David BASKERVILLE Head M  42 Brewer Ashwater, Devon
Harriot BASKERVILLE Wife M  31 Wife Boot Binder Okehampton, Devon
Walter BASKERVILLE Son 9 Scholar Exeter, Devon
Louisa BASKERVILLE Daur 5 Scholar Exeter, Devon

Although the above Baskerville family from Devon looked like it may fit (because of occupation of "Boot Binder", as younger David was a "Shomaker"), we know the occupation of Harriet was Launderer according to other documents that we have, matching the Harriet from Cheshire. We also have a bible belonging to the younger David from a Church in Cheshire.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Baskerville
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 May 06 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
confusing!! If we concentrate on Cheshire first - the 1851 details look pretty good. The trouble is that Harriot there is unmarried. Are you thinking that there is a wife and a sister called Harriet?
Cheshire BMD site  cheshirebmd.org.uk has a David born 1840-45 witha reference and it might be good to get the certificate to check.
1841 (I take it you have access) has these details which may help (hopefully not add to the burden!). Do search the whole page - one Thomas doesn't seem to be indexed.
Thomas Baskervile
HO107/118/3
Folio: 4 
Page: 2 
This Thomas is at the bottom of the page but at the top of the page there is also a Thomas Baskerville. They are all mixed in with the Steele family who are shoemakers.
Any difficulties - please contact.
good luck
heywood
ps I have also sent you a personal message
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 May 06 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

Thanks for replying. Confusing is right!

We have considered the possibility that Harriet & David were unmarried, as we have been unabe to locate a marriage certificate that we can say is theirs for sure. (Harriet & David in Devon, we are still unsure about.)

The researcher that we hired years back, said they were married, and had at least 2 children. Unfortunately, he never provided details of this. He only said that Harriet married a Baskerville, and that her maiden name was also Baskerville. (My gg-grandfather's marriage cert also states this.) Also, I always remember being told that we came from 2 lines of Baskervilles, one from Cheshire, and the other they thought were possibly from Devon, but weren't sure. The occupation of "Shoemaker" was apparently quite common in at least one line. (All of this combined, is why my confusion over the family in Devon.)

I do know, that my gg-grandfather was born in 1840 Cheshire. We have sent away for a copy of the cert, but have still not received it. I recently managed to find a family member who has a bible from Bowden Parish Church, in Cheshire.

As far as the 1841 census information that I have, it was given to me by another member of Rootschat, so unfortunately, I don't have access. She was unable to find any other Baskerville listed in Cheshire. (I am missing Harriet's father Thomas and brother Thomas, as well as David (Sr.). (Her brother, is listed as a Shoemaker in Knutsford in a later census)

I have totally hit a wall with this, and was hoping that I could track down some family members in 1841, especially David (Sr.).

Thanks again.

Janice
 ???
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 May 06 18:02 BST (UK) »
As I said in the pm- it does look as though she maybe was unmarried but here is 1841 to see if it makes any sense!
Sandbach
Roughwood
Thos Baskervile 45 yrs labourer
Sarah 20 yrs
John 13 yrs
George 9 yrs
Thomas 6 yrs
Then the Joseph Steele family (shoe maker)
Then Thomas Steele family farmer
Then Thomas Baskerville  60 yrs shoemaker (says Shoe M. J)
I have mentioned the Steeles in case there was a Steele/Baskerville marriage.
The transcriptions for indexing 1841 for these Baskervilles are poor - Raskervile/Baskervile.

There are also these in 1841:
HO107/256/5 Folio: 6  Page: 6
Ashwater, Devon
David aged 50 yrs  farmer
Ann 40 yrs
children Susanna 15, Ann 13, Grace 10, Thomas 7 yrs, Robert 5 yrs, michael 2 yrs, Samuel 2 months
*on the same page is a Shadrach Baskerville
and family (farmer)

HO107/134/5 Folio: 18  Page: 10
New Bridge Inn, Lezant, Cornwall
David Baskerville 30 yrs publican, Jane 20 yrs, Jane 3 yrs, Mary Anne, 10 months. (David born out of county) (He is there in 1851)
Both the above Davids and the one you mention were born in Ashwater Devon and appear in 1851 census! born 1789, 1809 and 1811.
I'm not convinced that they would have anything to do with your Cheshire family. I'm still looking!
regards
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 May 06 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks Heywood, I really appreciate all you are doing. I always thought it would be easy to check this side of the family, as Baskerville wasn't really that common a name. Unfortunately, it has proved to be one of my most difficult lines. I will have to keep a note of the Steele name, as I haven't come across it before.

Janice